You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Help a beginner build his first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

ssonnier you can do much better than that for the same money. Take a look @ AIM Surplus Home for Spikes Tactical uppers.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
ssonnier you can do much better than that for the same money. Take a look @ AIM Surplus Home for Spikes Tactical uppers.
wow man thanks for the link. see thats the part of this I needed the most guidance with. I dont have experience with all these parts suppliers. Now if we were talking custom automobiles or motorcycles. Im all there.

Do most lowers offer a decent fit up to the spikes upper? Cant have a haggard looking rifle! ha

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonnier View Post
wow man thanks for the link. see thats the part of this I needed the most guidance with. I dont have experience with all these parts suppliers. Now if we were talking custom automobiles or motorcycles. Im all there.

Do most lowers offer a decent fit up to the spikes upper? Cant have a haggard looking rifle! ha
Most of the good uppers and lowers will fit up nice and tight, the only thing that might differ is the finish.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #14

I can live with that. There's always the option of powder coating everything later on since I have the equipment anyways. I'm just trying to ask all the right questions on this.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonnier
I can live with that. There's always the option of powder coating everything later on since I have the equipment anyways. I'm just trying to ask all the right questions on this.
Just decide on the upper you want, then buy a lower from that same company. If you like the Spike's uppers, then buy a Spike's stripped lower to go with it. They make a great lower at a reasonable price, around $100 I think, and they have a few different roll marks to choose from. Just check out their website.

www.spikestactical.com

I would definitely recommend a Spikes. I have a ST-15 Carbine, and it's a great rifle. I know some of the guys who work there and they're great people. Spike's is only about 15 minutes from where i live. Their products have a lifetime warranty and I've heard their customer service is excellent.

If I was gonna go with a company other than Spike's, it would be BCM. They're another great company to check out.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #16

Yeah Im looking now and they are pretty reasonable. So i think that made up my mind. I will be going with spikes upper and lower. I went ahead and committed to buy the stock. Turns out its a magpul. Which from my understanding is a good company? Ill post some pics in the next day or so.

So now for a tricky part. Finding a grip. The reason is, and I hope someone here has the same issue, I have huge hands. I stand about 6' 9" and I've got big banana hands. lol. The most comfortable pistol I own is a SIG SAUER P226 Tac Op. It just fits real well. So something with those dimensions would be awesome.

Heres a link to view the pistol.
P226 Tactical Operations

Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a plan. Magpul makes some great products. I've got their ACS stock, MIAD grip, MBUS rear sight on my rifle, and I use PMags.

As far as grips go, the MIAD from Magpul comes with 3 different back straps to adjust it's size. I'm sure there are others that do the same sort of thing.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Spikes makes a nice lower.

For furniture Magpul's MOE line is a good choice.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #19

Yeah having an adjustable grip would be sweet so that way the lady can shoot it too and be comfortable.