Hello/Question from a new member - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hello/Question from a new member

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have no desire of ever trying to engage a big cat at 600 yards, as mentioned above I highly doubt that I would ever be able to see and if I did I would be headed in the opposite direction. I am looking for a weapon that would be capable of defending my home and still being able to go the range to have some fun with costing a small fortune. I was drawn to the AR platform because of it functionality, being semiautomatic, like Donn said " I wouldn't count on "one shot, one kill"" especially with me behind the weapon, and its variability, being able to fire anything from 22 to 50 cal.
Currently I was thinking about getting a 5.56 and a 22 conversion kit (to practice my marksmanship) to start with and then as funds permit get a second upper in 7.62 or .308.
However, I did not realize that glass was that expensive, I am going to have to rethink what 5.56 I can get if the scope should be as much as the rifle.
So back to the hard question which AR do I get with a total budget of just under 2K, do I get a higher end one (DD or KA) and wait on the scope while I improve my marksmanship, or get a decent one (BCM, PSA, or Spike Tact) with a nice scope? I am not worried about resale, as I want something that will last that I can pass down to my family.
Thoughts?
Thanks again for the input.
Nightwin

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #22

Liked 2189 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Just to be clear, a .308 upper wont work in an AR15 lower. There are larger lowers for Ar10 based guns in .308.

AR 15s with a good target barrel win 600 yd competitions on a regular basis. It's all about the shooter, and the right loads. 77gr match loads are more than capable of keeping you entertained on the range at the 600 yard line.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwin View Post
I have no desire of ever trying to engage a big cat at 600 yards, as mentioned above I highly doubt that I would ever be able to see and if I did I would be headed in the opposite direction. I am looking for a weapon that would be capable of defending my home and still being able to go the range to have some fun with costing a small fortune. I was drawn to the AR platform because of it functionality, being semiautomatic, like Donn said " I wouldn't count on "one shot, one kill"" especially with me behind the weapon, and its variability, being able to fire anything from 22 to 50 cal.
Currently I was thinking about getting a 5.56 and a 22 conversion kit (to practice my marksmanship) to start with and then as funds permit get a second upper in 7.62 or .308.
However, I did not realize that glass was that expensive, I am going to have to rethink what 5.56 I can get if the scope should be as much as the rifle.
So back to the hard question which AR do I get with a total budget of just under 2K, do I get a higher end one (DD or KA) and wait on the scope while I improve my marksmanship, or get a decent one (BCM, PSA, or Spike Tact) with a nice scope? I am not worried about resale, as I want something that will last that I can pass down to my family.
Thoughts?
Thanks again for the input.
Nightwin
personally i rank bcm at the top of any heap you care to pile up in terms of 556 ar15...

a good set of iron sights will get you out to 600m easily with practice.

my advice get the best rifle (BCM) you can get, learn to use iron sights well, then get an optic.

now that being said there are differenet types of AR15 from 16inch carbines to 20+" full rifles. the short carbines are going to have a tougher getting out to 600m than the full rifles.

when your talking big cats and an under sized cartridge penetration is more important than anything.

while im a huge fan of the AR15, it is NOT a round i would choose to go after deer much less a big extremely dangerous critter like a lion or tiger. your very likely to wound the thing and it move off a bit leaving a very pissed off wounded extremely dangerous animal for other folks to deal with or it comeing back to deal with you...

if this is a real concern, skip the AR15 and get a shotgun with slugs or a something like a 45-70 lever gun or a semi-auto in 308win.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #24

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
personally i rank bcm at the top of any heap you care to pile up in terms of 556 ar15...

my advice get the best rifle (BCM) you can get, learn to use iron sights well, then get an optic.
My advice is do the above, then when you are really familiar with the platform, save some money and get an upper with either a .45 or .50 Beowolf for your big game SHTF. Not quite as much range as the .556, but more stopping power at close ranges. BCM makes a superior AR, no doubt, and it isn't the most expensive, but I don't think they have any pistol caliber AR's. Even if you don't get a different upper, you empty a 30 round 5.56 mag into a big animal and it will go down.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

My advice is do the above, then when you are really familiar with the platform, save some money and get an upper with either a .45 or .50 Beowolf for your big game SHTF. Not quite as much range as the .556, but more stopping power at close ranges. BCM makes a superior AR, no doubt, and it isn't the most expensive, but I don't think they have any pistol caliber AR's. Even if you don't get a different upper, you empty a 30 round 5.56 mag into a big animal and it will go down.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

ANNNND as Doc said- if you check the width of a magazine for a .308 cartridge, you will find it cannot fit inside the magazine well of an AR 15. The cartridge itself is too long. Hence the AR-10 instead for a .308 category cartridge.

For punching paper, a good AR with a full length barrel, match quality ammo- it will do it if you can. For the BIG cat sitting in the back yard munching on your dog- shotgun- 00 buckshot. The average weight of an adult tiger is 500 lbs.

I try very hard not to shoot things that weigh 500 pounds with a .223 bullet. It generally does not end well.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Just to be clear, a .308 upper wont work in an AR15 lower. There are larger lowers for Ar10 based guns in .308.

AR 15s with a good target barrel win 600 yd competitions on a regular basis. It's all about the shooter, and the right loads. 77gr match loads are more than capable of keeping you entertained on the range at the 600 yard line.
That's true, unless you have a Colt 901, in which case you can use the same lower with an adapter that Colt provides.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
That's true, unless you have a Colt 901, in which case you can use the same lower with an adapter that Colt provides.

Interesting platform, from what I could find I think you have a use a specific Colt upper with it to be able to switch from 5.56 to .308. Anyone have a Colt 901 that can confirm this or give any additional information?

Thanks!
Nightwin

Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
However, I did not realize that glass was that expensive, I am going to have to rethink what 5.56 I can get if the scope should be as much as the rifle...............,,,,,,,,,
You can get some really really good scopes for the AR platform for around 300 to 400 dollars, tops. if you are talking home protection, and want fast target acquisition, an Aimpoint Red dot, or Eotech holographic scope is superb. They can easily hit anything at 100 yards and are perfect made for close quarters inside houses and streets.

a 7.62 would be a better option than the 5.56, But I prefer dirty and or steel cased ammo for piston guns.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Interesting platform, from what I could find I think you have a use a specific Colt upper with it to be able to switch from 5.56 to .308. Anyone have a Colt 901 that can confirm this or give any additional information?

Thanks!
Nightwin
Everything I have read confirms what night stated. They won't mix with other brands upper or lower.