Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hello/Question from a new member

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Do what they do in india. Bring a lamb or goat with you in the outdoors. The tigers will go for that, and leave you alone. Until they finish consuming the lamb.

And seriously, if a large cat of any kind is stalking you, you will never know it until it is at your throat. Something like a 44 mag or bigger with a chest holster is better than any long gun or shotgun on your shoulder. if it bites into your skull, their fangs will puncture into your brain and disable you with one bite.

If you live in open country, and are talking 600 yard shots, you have plenty of time to get to a car.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 06-18-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1029 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 427

While a 5.56 NATO AR rifle or carbine CAN hit a target at 600M, the bullet doesn't retain a lot of energy at that distance and would be affected by wind more so than 7.62 NATO / .308, .30-06, or 7.62x54R bullet would be.

If you require inexpensive practice with a cartridge that retains some energy at 600M, 7.62x54R is hard to beat.

As far as rifles and carbines are concerned, 600M is where bolt action rifles start to make more sense than semi-automatic rifles.

Although a proficient marksman could hit a target at 600M with a semi-automatic rifle, someone who has never shot past 100M or so probably should work on marksmanship fundamentals first. At 600M, you're going to have to have decent range estimation, ability to read the wind, know how to operate a telescopic sight, and so on.

If you want to do that with centerfire cartridges that are relatively inexpensive, then 7.62x54R is the way to go.

If you have enough money for ammo, then you can opt for 7.62 NATO / .308 or .30-06.

If you have enough money to purchase a SR-15 or SR-25, money is clearly not a major factor in your purchase decision.

For maximum bang-for-the-buck, I'd look into a standard Remington 700 in .308 or .30-06 with a light contour, as opposed to target or varmint contour, 20"-24" barrel. Add a piece of quality glass. The glass should cost more than the rifle. Purchase military surplus 7.62 NATO or bulk .308 FMJ cartridges for practice.

If funds are more limited, a Mosin Nagant and a synthetic stock like an ATI or something similar is probably the way to go.

Remingtons and Mosin Nagants are not the only bolt guns out there. Winchester, Savage, Howa, and others will work just as well. It's mostly personal preference. I like Remington 700's because they work well, are relatively inexpensive, there are a variety of factory models to choose from, and most 700's are pretty accurate from the box.

Either way, a bolt action rifle is going to be more precise, simpler to maintain and operate, and cost less than a semi-automatic rifle that is the same price.

As therewolf pointed out, you won't typically see a big cat at any extended distance, as they are nocturnal and camouflaged. Any reliable pump shotgun with slugs or buckshot will work for defense against that kind of critter.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6562 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 12845

[QUOTE="Nightwin"]I will contact the local wildlife and see what they say.

/QUOTE]

Dr. Doolittle?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2645 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

If it came down to me vs. a big cat, up close, I'd def. want an extended mag, 12 ga. pump shotgun, loaded with foster or Brenneke slugs. JMHO

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #15

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwin View Post
Hi all,
However, I unfortunately live near (2-3 miles) a big cat rescue (they currently have over 40 big cats, as in mountain loin or larger, and includes seven 600+ pound tigers) and I recently found out, through a neighbor who is a volunteer fire fighter, that they do not have an evacuation plan for the cats if a natural disaster occurs, ie. fire or hurricane.
So I would like to get something to protect my family from adult tigers and still be able to go the range and practice without have to spend $2-3 a shot.
Is this possible or would I be better off getting two different weapons?
Is the 5.56 powerful enough to take down an adult tiger or do I need something larger?
If the 5.56 would work I as thinking about a Daniel Defense M4V5 with a two stage trigger, or a SR-15. I really like the SR-15 but worry about availability of the proprietary components.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Nightwin
ps. sorry for the long post but hate when someone asks "what should I get?" without letting you know what they are going to use it for or why.
Sad to say, saw tigers fall to M-16's when I was in-country. That said, with animals that size, I wouldn't count on "one shot, one kill" regardless of the rifle caliber.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 284

And here is my .02 . Get a .22 upper for inexpensive (right now anyway) plinking to hone your marksmanship skills. For big cat SHTF, get a 12 guage with a pistol grip and adjustable buttstock, and keep rifled slugs handy. To be honest, if the cat is 600 yards away and you can see it, that means you have enough time to get in the car and drive the other way. Not trying to be pacifist, but if you shoot it with a 5.56 and don't kill it, you will probably really piss it off.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #17

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
And here is my .02 . Get a .22 upper for inexpensive (right now anyway) plinking to hone your marksmanship skills. For big cat SHTF, get a 12 guage with a pistol grip and adjustable buttstock, and keep rifled slugs handy. To be honest, if the cat is 600 yards away and you can see it, that means you have enough time to get in the car and drive the other way. Not trying to be pacifist, but if you shoot it with a 5.56 and don't kill it, you will probably really piss it off.
Thats why magpul makes 30 rd and now 40 rd mags . Just in case of the tiger release

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #18

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

This is an easy question.

Get yourself a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol or even the 20" Marksman.

This gives you the AR platform, 20 Round Magazines, and the .308/7.62 x51 ammo will reach out to 600 yards all day long.

Ammo can still be had at under a dollar and having 20 rounds would sure give me piece of mind if having to take on a pride of lions.

Now.. Give us a tough question

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #19

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm all for the .454 socom or 50 beowulf upper. You definately have a good reason to have that caliber.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

You don't need much firepower to deal with the escaped zoo animals. All you need to do is shoot someone else in the leg then you'll be able to outrun them. Heck a bat would even work if that's all ya got!