Hello/Question from a new member
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hello/Question from a new member

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hello/Question from a new member

Hi all,
I have been reading posts on this site for about a month and have to say that I am very impressed with the content and knowledge of its members.To that end I was wondering if the community might be able to help with a few questions.
I am new to the AR-15 platform, and have been researching AR's for a little while and like the variability of the platform and an looking to get one. Here in lines my dilemma, I would like one that I can take to range (about twice a month) for plinking out to about 600 yards, I am not that good of a shot now but hope to improve to be able to hit something at 600 yards with practice. However, I unfortunately live near (2-3 miles) a big cat rescue (they currently have over 40 big cats, as in mountain loin or larger, and includes seven 600+ pound tigers) and I recently found out, through a neighbor who is a volunteer fire fighter, that they do not have an evacuation plan for the cats if a natural disaster occurs, ie. fire or hurricane.
So I would like to get something to protect my family from adult tigers and still be able to go the range and practice without have to spend $2-3 a shot.
Is this possible or would I be better off getting two different weapons?
Is the 5.56 powerful enough to take down an adult tiger or do I need something larger?
If the 5.56 would work I as thinking about a Daniel Defense M4V5 with a two stage trigger, or a SR-15. I really like the SR-15 but worry about availability of the proprietary components.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Nightwin
ps. sorry for the long post but hate when someone asks "what should I get?" without letting you know what they are going to use it for or why.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7455 Times on 4068 Posts
Likes Given: 15348

Anything is possible but some things are less probable. In the extremely unlikely event of a tiger attack, I suppose several rounds of 5.56 would subdue or deter a big cat.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwin View Post
Hi all,
I have been reading posts on this site for about a month and have to say that I am very impressed with the content and knowledge of its members.To that end I was wondering if the community might be able to help with a few questions.
I am new to the AR-15 platform, and have been researching AR's for a little while and like the variability of the platform and an looking to get one. Here in lines my dilemma, I would like one that I can take to range (about twice a month) for plinking out to about 600 yards, I am not that good of a shot now but hope to improve to be able to hit something at 600 yards with practice. However, I unfortunately live near (2-3 miles) a big cat rescue (they currently have over 40 big cats, as in mountain loin or larger, and includes seven 600+ pound tigers) and I recently found out, through a neighbor who is a volunteer fire fighter, that they do not have an evacuation plan for the cats if a natural disaster occurs, ie. fire or hurricane.
So I would like to get something to protect my family from adult tigers and still be able to go the range and practice without have to spend $2-3 a shot.
Is this possible or would I be better off getting two different weapons?
Is the 5.56 powerful enough to take down an adult tiger or do I need something larger?
If the 5.56 would work I as thinking about a Daniel Defense M4V5 with a two stage trigger, or a SR-15. I really like the SR-15 but worry about availability of the proprietary components.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Nightwin
ps. sorry for the long post but hate when someone asks "what should I get?" without letting you know what they are going to use it for or why.
hi, well im very happy that you have been doing some research. personally, i would not prefer a .223 to take down a lion. im sure if shot placement was good you MAY do it i would not want to chance it. there are several larger calibers that fit the AR-15 lower. but price of ammo is a concern so i assume you don't reload. the other calibers can get very pricey real quick...

heres my advice. go with a .22e/5.56 to start. its cheaper(sometimes)and wiith practice will get you to the 500 maybe 600 yard line. you could then just get another complete upper in say .458 socom. to be able to switch out with the lower in case of lion emergencies. kepping a mag a box of ammo and an upper would probly wun about the same cost as a good bolt action .308... probly even more but it would fit your need... i suppose your best option is to get an ar-15 and a mosin nagant... good caliber cheap ammo for that crazy man eating lion.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 166 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Or just buy the standard 223/556 and begin a build on a 300 Blackout, a 50 cal, or 7.62×54mm.

Last edited by ccase39; 06-18-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #5

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

The, aer, ah, well, first, welcome to the FTF.

Second, not many public ranges go to 600 yards,

so make friends, find a shooting buddy with a large

property. Beer and lunch, of course, will usually

be on you.

Third, you probably wouldn't see a big cat

at 300 yards, let alone 600 yards. They are

natural stalkers, have hides which blend easily at

a distance, and stay concealed, for the most part,

during the day.

I'd get familiar with 22LR, they make a nice M&P15/22

which is basically AR in design. Then hone accuracy at

50, and 100 yards, for the time being. Must public ranges

have those distances.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-18-2013 at 02:20 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #6

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Get a 5.56 for your range fun. Then get a 12ga with some buckshot and slugs in the event of a tiger emergency. Likely if you need it they will be close enough.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 166 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Get a 5.56 for your range fun. Then get a 12ga with some buckshot and slugs in the event of a tiger emergency. Likely if you need it they will be close enough.
Honestly I dont think any size buck shot would be reliable. Once they get close enough for buckshot to be effective its already to late. Those things are nimble and quick. A couple of well placed slugs should get the job done. I would talk to the local wildlife and fisheries and ask them what they recommend and get any tips on how to react if they did in fact break out.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #8

Yes, I agree the the likelihood of having to fend off a big cat is extremely small, just do not like them so close to home when they are managed by unprepared people.
Luckly I have a range about 15 miles away that has lanes from 50 to 600 yard, that is just for practice and the fun of seeing if I can do it, I know I would never see a tiger that far away.
I like the idea of a second upper and/or getting a 12 gauge.
That a good idea ccase39, I will contact the local wildlife and see what they say.

Thanks for the input!
Nightwin

Last edited by Nightwin; 06-18-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #9

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of the .223 round. You are not talking about actively hunting dangerous game. When we talk about self defense we are not limited to 5 round mags. I would think that a 30 round mag full of .223 coming out of a semi-auto rifle is going to mess up anything you shoot with it pretty bad.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

I knew someday I'd find an excuse for my Mosin M44! Otherwise I really don't have much in my arsenal to take on a tiger or more likely, a grizzly.

Welcome Nightwin! A 5.56 AR has many uses but not big predators. I'm not confident any caliber for the AR-15 lower is up to that task. I'd feel better with at least .308/30.06 but I'd put much research into the decision.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.