Heavy buffer - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Heavy buffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23shooter View Post
Forgot to mention that all brass is ejecting but BCG is not picking up the next round.
Lou
How's the fit of the gas tube in the new gas key? Any noticable "mushrooming" on the end of the tube? What leads you to believe that the gas block has shifted, have you loosen it or worked on the barrel?

Just another guess but how many rounds on the original BCG, could there just be additional friction on the new bolt where it meets the receiver? Do you run the bolt "wet?"

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Not trying to hijack this thread but it runs in the same vein. I now have a problem I haven't had before this is going to pertain to Rock River .223 in a 16 inch barrel. I put a HD Sprinco spring Blue, HD 2 buffer and a FA BCG in at the same time. I went to the range and now I have a great single shot AR. Not totally unexpected, so I try all combinations to rectify this.
HD2 + std.spring
Std buffer + Blue Springco
Std. Spring + Std. Buffer
The only thing left to try is putting back the Stock BCG which is only marginally lighter than the FA, but I did not have it with me to try.
So here it is, are the RR that precise in the gassing that it won't allow any modifications? I know that RR are not over gassed but this seems a little extreme to me. Second guess could be that something has happened to the gas block, shifted or something similar that has restricted the gas flow. Is anyone running RR with mods of these types?
Thanks in advance for any FB...
Lou
This is exactly what I was refering to when I said changing the timing. Each manufacturer is gonna port their systems differently. Miniscule variances are going to make each and every gun different from the next on the assembly line. If you gonna play with your timing bring all your toys. I haven't bought any lower or higher rate springs but I have carbine, h, h1,h3 and rra 9mm buffers. I usually try and use the weakest powered ammo (russian swag) and time it with that. I try and use the heaviest buffer that will cycle reliably. Onetrick is to just load one round in your mag. If your bolt doesn't lock back after firing, your gas system is short stroking. Time to move down to a lighter buffer.

If you time you system with higher power stuff like mil surplus m855 or m193, you will find that you can run heavier buffers. Problem is you'll short stroke the weaker ammo.

One peice of gear hat only costs around $60 and will get around all this gear swapping is an adjustible gas block. You can tune it on the fly and get the most out of your setup. I haven't made the plunge yet but for sure my next build will have a JP adjustable block and rifle length gas system (spr-ish type build).

Old 03-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i run an 11oz tungsten buffer and wolf spring. i love it. got it from here

heavybuffers.com

Holy Over Gass Systems Batman!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #24

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Yes I am running wet, New FA BCG is stiff, original gas tube was a good fit in the YHM low profile gas block. There was nothing wrong with the timing, just softening the muzzle rise for faster follow ups. I am a little confused because this weapon is not wanting to take any thing other than original parts and or specs.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:

original gas tube was a good fit in the YHM low profile gas block
How about the other end that fits into the gas key...does it get a good seal?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes I am running wet, New FA BCG is stiff, original gas tube was a good fit in the YHM low profile gas block. There was nothing wrong with the timing, just softening the muzzle rise for faster follow ups. I am a little confused because this weapon is not wanting to take any thing other than original parts and or specs.
Any time you change the spring rates or the reciprocating mass you are changing the timing. If you add weight or up spring rates you slow down the timing lengthening it and reducing percieved recoil. If you lighten mass or rates, it shortens recoil impulse also makes the bcg go out of battery at a faster speed, all of which increases percieved recoil. Its all about the timing.

As for your rifle, sounds like RRA gassed your gun just right, maybe u don't have to change anything.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-02-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Whats the differences and purposes between H buffer or Spikes T1, 2 and 3? Excuse me from asking. I think i got the H buffer in my DD. And if im not mistaken, the Spikes T3 meant for suppressed AR? Thx

Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Whats the differences and purposes between H buffer or Spikes T1, 2 and 3? Excuse me from asking. I think i got the H buffer in my DD. And if im not mistaken, the Spikes T3 meant for suppressed AR? Thx

Long story short.

For semi auto applications, its usually best to use the heaviest buffer that will cycle your ammo reliably.

You can tune it for each different type of ammo easily, because swapping out a buffer takes what, 10 seconds max?

Or you can tune it for the weakest ammo you have, and leave it. This way you know your gun will go through weak, mid and high power ammo.

The reason why people do it, is that you lengthen the recoil impulse (takes a longer time to cycle) when you increase the weight of the buffer, as it take longer to get that mass in motion to go out of battery and back into battery. While the actual timing part is not really necessary for SA applications (its much more import in FA guns) a longer recoil impulse makes the gun have a smoother feel to it, a kindler gentler recoil impulse. Its helps a little bit, but not nearly as much as a good muzzle brake.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #29

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Is this a midlength or carbine length gas?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.