Heavy barrel - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Heavy barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

There arent many that will cut a barrel individually to your spec. I think white oak might as well
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #12

Liked 1150 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2040

I'm a little confused at why u would want a heavy barreled sbr?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yea I know it's not a normal request, but the reason is because I use it as a varmint rifle at night and I don't want a 24" barrel to be swinging around while I'm moving into my top rack and in and out of my truck. I want to use my suppressor so I can hunt without hearing protection an once I put that on any regulation barrels it's just too long and annoying.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #14

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

General rule of thumb. The shorter the barrel the stiffer it becomes.

If you are going to have an sbr, don't get a heavy barrel, its overkill. You are just adding extra weight, and cost to you build. A standard profile will probably be more than stiff enough.

Long barrels are usually heavy contoured because the longer length warrants extra stiffness.

An exaggerated example: think of a 0.5" thick length of rebar. If you have a 12" long length, its almost impossible to bend or flex it. Now imagine a 3 foot peice, it bends and flexes with little to no effort. So in order to kep it from flexing you take that 3' length and make it 1.5" inch think. Now no more flex.

So for you case, getting a shorter medium (maybe even lw profile) 12" barrel will be plenty stiff enough. You will be giving up some velocity but for nighttime varmiting at close range, I think it suits your intended use.

Iirc m193's optimum fragmentation velocites are good for 75 yards with a 12.5" barrel.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If price isn't an option take a peek at jp enterprises. Saw a vid of a guy hitting gongs at 1000 yards with federal 55 gn ball. Not consistent but at 600 it was. Very nice rifles an uppers. And an interesting side charging option.
AgentTikki Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Note about sbr suppressors. There is a point at which suppressors will not function and can be blown up with a too short barrel. Make sure your chosen barrel length will work with the supressor yoir going to use
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #17

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts

Well I am not wanting any shorter than 10.5" and no longer than 12" I know there are a lot of manufacturers that make those barrel lengths for their SBR weapons so I didn't think it would be a problem with my suppressor. Why would too short of a barrel have a chance to ruin a suppressor?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 335 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its 1-7.7 best 3 shot group so far with only one range session half inch at 300yards. Krieger knows what they are doing. I talked with one of their reps told him what i wanted to do and just went with his suggestions. The fluting and bead blast was added.
Any chance we could get a look at ther research ? I have honestly never heard of a 1:7.7 twist. The problem lies not w 300 yd shooting but making the 5.56 an honest 800-1,000 yd cartridge. (below is copy/pasted from 223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide. )

Twist Rates
The .223 Rem shoots a wide range of bullets very effectively, from 35gr flat-based varmint bullets, to ultra-long 90gr VLDs. However, you'll need the right twist rate for your choice of bullet. For max velocity and accuracy with the lightest bullets, a 1:14" twist may be ideal. More versatile is a 1:12" twist that will allow you to shoot the popular 60-64 grain match bullets. (However, a 1:9" twist is needed for the steel-core 62gr bullet used in the M855 military loads, because that bullet is as long as most 70-grainers.) For normal lead-core jacketed bullets, a 1:9" twist will let you shoot up to 73gr bullets. Since most .223 Rem shooters prefer bullets in the 50-73gr range, a good "do-it-all" solution is a 9-twist, unless you're a Highpower competitor.

For long-range match purposes, long, high-BC bullets are favored for their ability to buck the wind. You'll want at least a 1:8" twist to shoot the 77gr and 80gr MatchKings and 80gr Bergers. To shoot the new 90gr pills, a 1:6.5" is recommended, though a true 1:7" will work in most conditions.

Overall, what twist rate is best? For varminting we like a 12-twist. The slower twist will give you a bit more velocity, and minimize the risk of jacket failure at high rpms. For general use, an 8-twist barrel will let you shoot the excellent 77gr and 80gr Sierra MatchKings and nearly all varieties of non-tracer milsurp ammo. We'd only select a 1:7" or faster twist barrel if we had a need to shoot the 90gr VLDs.

Barrel Twist Rate 1:14" 1:12" 1:9" 1:8" 1:7" or 1:6.5"
Max Bullet Weight 55gr FB 65gr FB 73gr BT 80gr BT 90gr BT VLD

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarter788 View Post
Well I am not wanting any shorter than 10.5" and no longer than 12" I know there are a lot of manufacturers that make those barrel lengths for their SBR weapons so I didn't think it would be a problem with my suppressor. Why would too short of a barrel have a chance to ruin a suppressor?

because of this.
imagepng_2_3.jpg  

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #20

That will tear up the baffles in your suppressor.