Headspacing on an AR - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Headspacing on an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I guess if you had another AR chambered in 5.56, .223 would be best for a benchrest gun since the heavier ammo is .223. Correct?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #22

So I have 2 RRA's 1 car. 16 in 1-9 twist and a 20 in. 1-8 varmit. Both are wylde chaimbered. Which cartridge will give me the best performance? 223 Rem. or 5.56?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From what was said earlier .223 works better in the Wylde chamber. And the lighter stuff seems to work in the 1:9, 1:8 twist barrel. So something in .223 and around 55gr. This is just my conclusion from the material in this thread. I do know from experience that 193 works well in a 1:7 Wylde chamber out of a 18" WOA barrel.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #24

jhog,

Part of the thinking behind the Wylde chamber was to be a compromise between .223 and 5.56, and allow either to be fired. Whereas you are safe to use either, your best bet will be to try different manufacturers and different loads in each of your pieces to get a better idea of what works 'best' for your shooting requirements. The 1:9 twist you mentioned should be able to provide 'good' performance with factory loads up to 69gr, and possibly up to 75gr. The 1:8 twist will provide better performance with the heavier rounds, like the 75gr to 80gr, although 80gr might be pushing it.

As for which caliber will perform better, again try different rounds from different manufacturers in each piece, under controlled conditions and the conditions you will normally be shooting in to see which provides the performance that you seek. Using rounds that match the caliber of the chamber is always 'best', but in this case with the Wylde chamber, conducting your own comparison, using your own equipment, shooting conditions and style should provide you with results that will help you decide what works best for you.

Another consideration is that heavier match grade ammunition is capable of providing exceptional performance, but cost could be prohibitive for 'varmint' shooting. Of course this would depend how many varmints are involved and available funds. Rock River Arms manufactures some very fine pieces that are capable of very good accuracy right out of the box. I am sure you will find ammunition that will provide acceptable performance for the type of shooting you want to do. Good luck to you, Sir.

Snuff

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #25

Thanx for all the cool info guys, I do have about 7 or8 different ammo manufacterers ammo from 55gr. up to 77 gr. and from Wolf, Baurnal, Herters, ultramax, Hornady, Rem., Black hills and other stuff. I just haven't been able to put in some serious range time. Also, by reading these threads, I guess I really don't need a 1-7 twist barrel since I have a 1-8 unless I just want to have one. Does anyone have any pros as to having a 1-7 barrel?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Short & quick twist rates (1:7) are great for heavier/longer bullets. It will shoot those better & I would say something like a 75gr or 77 grainer would be ideal. Light bullets ( like a 40gr )can get over spun and come apart from being shot in a fast twist rate barrel.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog View Post
Thanx for all the cool info guys, I do have about 7 or8 different ammo manufacterers ammo from 55gr. up to 77 gr. and from Wolf, Baurnal, Herters, ultramax, Hornady, Rem., Black hills and other stuff. I just haven't been able to put in some serious range time. Also, by reading these threads, I guess I really don't need a 1-7 twist barrel since I have a 1-8 unless I just want to have one. Does anyone have any pros as to having a 1-7 barrel?
If you want to stabilize heavier bullets. A lot of the varmint guys like the faster barrels. I personally don't see a serious need. Maybe longer range target Shooting??

My pref is 1:12 but those are getting tough to find
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 1:8 twist barrel and shoot 69gr. Sierra Matchkings. I am concerned though that I am going to get more ricochets while squirrel shooting that the guys with the slower twist barrels and 50 or 55gr. bullets.