Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Headspacing on an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Headspacing on an AR

I have been looking at barrels and some companies give the option of getting a bolt headspaced to that barrel. So, if the bolt is housed in the carrier, how do you headspace the bolt to a "bare" barrel? This to me is confusing. I mean, how do you headspace an AR bolt?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been really curious about this myself.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Been really curious about this myself.
And another cool Avatar! Were do you get those?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Go/No Go gauge, but you need the right one for the application at hand.

.223 is different from 5.56 and both are different from Mil-Spec for the M16.

Sounds confusing but really the difference is like 1.465" to 1.470" or 1.473" - something very near those numbers.

What the manufacturers are doing is a CYA in case they are selling to a handloader and don't know it.

"what? Barrel blew up on you with your reloads? You didn't have it headspaced by us? Sorry, this one is on you".

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-26-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5262 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 331

i dont worry about it mainly. just stick to the ammo the maker recomends. i reload for mine. all my chambers are 5.56 so i make my ammo to 5.56 spec. if you have a .223 chamber dont use mil-surp ammo only ammo marked for .223. if you put your own extensions on the barrel then you might need to buy some gauges for your application. i dont mess with putting on my own barrel extensions. i dont have the tools for it. used to in the army and the knowledge is faintly there in the back of my empty head rattling around somewhere. it prolly killed my ability to type some while back.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Go/No Go gauge, but you need the right one for the application at hand.

.223 is different from 5.56 and both are different from Mil-Spec for the M16.

Sounds confusing but really the difference is like 1.465" to 1.470" or 1.473" - something very near those numbers.

What the manufacturers are doing is a CYA in case they are selling to a handloader and don't know it.

"what? Barrel blew up on you with your reloads? You didn't have it headspaced by us? Sorry, this one is on you".
OK so if I were to buy a berrel from, lets say, White Oak, it would be a good idea to also buy the bolt with it?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yes it would be a good idea. Im not 100% on why but have come to the conclusion through previous reading that it would give you the best outcome. When you purchase that BCG you'll have a spare bolt. Spare parts are always nice. THey eventually turn into complete rifles.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog View Post
And another cool Avatar! Were do you get those?
The interwebz my friend.

So if your chamber is marked 5.56, I should be A OK with my handloads if I only use the same kind of brass, Lake City, all the time? The LC stuff isn't marked with either .223 or 5.56, all it has on there is L C.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
The interwebz my friend.

So if your chamber is marked 5.56, I should be A OK with my handloads if I only use the same kind of brass, Lake City, all the time? The LC stuff isn't marked with either .223 or 5.56, all it has on there is L C.
I don't think that would matter so much cause once fired brass from your chaimber is formed to your chaimber however, I'm not to sure about fire forming .1223 in a 5.56 chaimber. Maybe someone else could enlighten us on that? Someone that reloads alot.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5262 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
The interwebz my friend.

its not the brass its the dies and where you set the head spacing. case gauges are important for getting the proper headspacing for your dies. 223 brass will fire just fine in a 5.56. 5.56 will fire in a 223 but you may run into chambering issue and feed reliability which is why the manufactuerer doesnt recomend it. also repeatedly loading to 223 spec and firing out of 5.56 chambers will wear your brass out much faster due to the constant stretching and resizing.

thats why you should set your dies accordingly for each chamber and why i dont mess with .223 chambers just to preserve the life of my brass. it doesnt matter really which you have its just easier to stick with one or the other for extended brass life and ease of setup for reloading if you have multiple ar15's that shoot 223/556

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...