has NiB ever failed you? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

has NiB ever failed you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

I think it goes the other way, Mikey. The onus is on manufacturers that tout special coatings to prove they truly are superior to milspec phosphate BCGs that have functioned well in millions of AR family rifles over decades. All I see are vague comments and a price that's 2-3x. Chrome has some track record at least but of course nothing comes close to phosphate in sheer numbers.

There's nothing wrong with trying out something new but by doing so you go into uncharted deep water. There's little data on the new stuff and so very little of it is real world testing. That makes it hard to prove whether there's real benefit or just hype to separate you from your money.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #22

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I accept your comments and acknowledge that I do not wish to transform the AR world to follow my desires to try something new, actually I tend to be obsessive at times. My concerns were about the statement liking ni boron or nitride to paint which " just ain't so". I see major manufacturers using the coatings on parts in top tier rifles so I guess it is not all bad (or good). I have a pile of rifles that have survived many years and rounds with phosphate coatings however sometimes change is good (the AR was radical in it's introduction).

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
I accept your comments and acknowledge that I do not wish to transform the AR world to follow my desires to try something new, actually I tend to be obsessive at times. My concerns were about the statement liking ni boron or nitride to paint which " just ain't so". I see major manufacturers using the coatings on parts in top tier rifles so I guess it is not all bad (or good). I have a pile of rifles that have survived many years and rounds with phosphate coatings however sometimes change is good (the AR was radical in it's introduction).
For a few years, some companies have put various forms of nickel on their BCG's, from a silicone nickel compound to teflon nickel to electroplated nickel to nickel boron. The promise has been of a bolt carrier group that needs no lube or cleaning, and so far they have come up short. POF has been making the claim their AR's don't need lube or cleaning of gunpowder residue for years. I haven't heard a whole lot of complaints from their customers, so evidently they are doing something right, but I don't think the coating is the whole story. I believe NiB is progress, but I don't think it is worth more than a few bucks more than phosphate. I have put a few rounds through my NiB carrier, and it is easier to clean, and seems to operate a little smoother, but I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks extra for it.
People Like This