It has begun .....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > It has begun .....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default It has begun .....

A while ago I posted in the AR15 forum about a lower I picked up from Territorial Gunsmiths. I spent a good bit of time thinking about it and asked forum members for some opinions and advice. I settled on a the basics and got started and some of the parts just came in. So here it is,

Territorial Gunsmiths SLR15 Multi Cal lower receiver
RRA A4 upper receiver
RRA BCG
National Match 2 Stage trigger (still backordered)
Oversized trigger guard
YHM EZ Takedown set
Badger tactical latch

Lower Receiver
s5031135.jpg

Parts
s5031908.jpg

Assembled
s5031910.jpg
I know, the pivot pin is in backwards That has been remedied

The idea is to set this one up in.458 and I am leaning towards making this a SBR. But I have not settled on that so the barrel and foreguard are up in the air. Either way I am looking at a combo smooth/rail foreguard.

Up next on the plan will be

Buttstock - http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=205&cID=57
Grip - Welcome to ERGO Grip Products
Sights - a set of BUIS (undecided)
Scope - Eotech or Aimpoint red dot w/ 4x magnifier on a flip to side mount

Also up in the air is a name for her. Right now I am leaning towards the Hammer of Dawn

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 04-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.
TWMIM Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That a sweet looking piece of gear you got there Dog. Like the .458 Socom Idea. Sweet, hard hitting round.

Hammer of Dawn sounds good, but how about the Hammer of Athena? Greek Goddess of Wisdom and Battle, not to mention beauty.

JD

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #3

Something I've been tossing around is the idea of making this a gas piston AR. I don't have any real definitive reason for it like maintenance/reliability/function. Right now it is more for the novelty/uniqueness factor, something along the lines of the theme of the lower.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

TWMIM Likes This 
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Something I've been tossing around is the idea of making this a gas piston AR. I don't have any real definitive reason for it like maintenance/reliability/function. Right now it is more for the novelty/uniqueness factor, something along the lines of the theme of the lower.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks
It's been stated in several gun magazines that gas piston systems introduce vibrations that can adversely affect accuracy. For semi-auto weapons, gas pistons don't do a thing for reliability and, if anything, add an extra step to your cleaning regimen. Gas pistons were designed primarily for weapons with full-auto capability where heat, temp, and carbon build-up are concerns due to cyclic rate. Nobody I know has ever had a failure or need to clean the gas tube on their AR-15.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #5

Default Update

Just a little update on the .458. Some parts have come in over the last couple weeks. Nothing has been assembled and I am still hashing out some ideas. Plus, a few new questions have come to mind.

Here's a pic of the parts,
s5032719.jpg
CAA CBS 6 Position Stock w/ Adjustable Check Rest
RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger
Ergo Grip
Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit

A few items I still need to get,
Bolt
Buffer tube and spring
Barrell and nut
Gas Block and gas tube
Foreguard

A few issues I need to resolve still are,
1) A good lead on .458 parts dealers?
2) Can I use the standard AR15 tube and buffer spring or do I need to get one calibrated more for the .458?
3) Barrell - I would like some suggestions on manufacturers. I am thinking of getting 2 - a 10"-12" for fun/CQ and maybe a 18'-20" range/hunting.

Thanks for all the help folks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #6

Not a whole lot happening on the .458 front. The .458Socom Forum has been down a while , and almost as soon as parts are listed for sale they are gone, .

I tried contacting the folks at Teppo Jutsu a few times but never heard back.

I looked into the RRA .458 but if I go that route then what do I do with the lower, upper and bolt I already have?

I'm thinking of taking the easy route and just ordering a complete rifle or just the upper from Rock River. So far everything else that I have ordered from them has been top notch. After talking to them today they say the only backorder issue they have are barrels - anywhere from 4-8 months.

Any ideas/suggestions?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #7

Sorry that it's been a while since I have posted regularly but some personal issues came up - some good, some not so good, and my project in LI got crazy busy the past month and a half.

So what does all that have to do with my .458 project? I don't know, just thought I'd share.

As far as the .458 project goes a few new events have unfolded,

The .458socomforum is still down - I have been lost trying to get research done. I think I am going through withdrawals. WTF?

I did order a complete RRA .458SOCM upper from LegalTransfersInc. in NH. They were very helpful and easy to deal with and the prices were fantastic. I was told to expect the upper anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

I also managed to get a hold of man himself - Marty at TeppoJutsu. Being a noob he has been great to deal with and very helpful. As of today we are almost finished hashing out the meat of the project and soon I'll be getting into the finer personalized details.

So it looks as if I'll end up with 2 .458 uppers - a basic version from RRA and a personalized setup from the man himself.

Looks like another great Christmas for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Last edited by dog2000tj; 10-13-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great dog....thought you'd stashed the project 'till next year. Thanks for the update!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait, but it will be worth it in the end. Great project!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Great dog....thought you'd stashed the project 'till next year. Thanks for the update!!
Just going a little slower than I had planned. Got anxious and pulled the trigger on the RRA upper just so I can get into the range with it. I've finalized the plans with Marty and should be sending him the parts I already have soon. He figures about 3 months to complete, really looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait, but it will be worth it in the end. Great project!
That's funny, some of the field managers for the company i work with joke that that is our company motto - "Hurry up and finish" . Then we get stuck waiting on the customer to complete the turnover.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas