Has anyone seen or heard about this?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Has anyone seen or heard about this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Has anyone seen or heard about this?

Was on Facebook today and saw one of the pages I follow, post up a picture of a rifle that I thought was pretty good looking. Its a Remington R5 Gas Piston Carbine, 5.56, 1:7. I don't know that we'll ever see it on the public market though, thus far you have to go to the Remington Defense page. I tried to even do a google search on it and nothing comes up really. Here's the page, enjoy looking at it...

http://remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Carbines/RGP.aspx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
Was on Facebook today and saw one of the pages I follow, post up a picture of a rifle that I thought was pretty good looking. Its a Remington R5 Gas Piston Carbine, 5.56, 1:7. I don't know that we'll ever see it on the public market though, thus far you have to go to the Remington Defense page. I tried to even do a google search on it and nothing comes up really. Here's the page, enjoy looking at it...

http://remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Carbines/RGP.aspx
Looks like another company has entered the AR market. I expect it will be $2500-$3000 price range. If you get a stripped lower, you can probably build something close to identical for about 7-800 bucks less and get everything you need at Brownells. Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of us are getting kinda jaded with all the hype these manufacturers are putting into their "new and improved" AR's. Yeah, it has a piston. Yeah, it can fire underwater. Big hairy deal. Unless you are a Seal or Green Beret going on an amphibious mission, odds are you won't need all that.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well... it looks great!

Last edited by nfafan; 02-13-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Looks like another company has entered the AR market. I expect it will be $2500-$3000 price range. If you get a stripped lower, you can probably build something close to identical for about 7-800 bucks less and get everything you need at Brownells. Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of us are getting kinda jaded with all the hype these manufacturers are putting into their "new and improved" AR's. Yeah, it has a piston. Yeah, it can fire underwater. Big hairy deal. Unless you are a Seal or Green Beret going on an amphibious mission, odds are you won't need all that.
Remington has been selling ARs for quite some time. It'll probably run around $1500 a I doubt they would sell it for more than the ACR as they seem to want the ACR to be their claim to fame in the .mil market.

Chino, I think it's a good looking AR w/ nice lines.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Remington has been selling ARs for quite some time. It'll probably run around $1500 a I doubt they would sell it for more than the ACR as they seem to want the ACR to be their claim to fame in the .mil market.

Chino, I think it's a good looking AR w/ nice lines.
mjkeat -

I did not know they've been in the AR line for some time, I learn something new here just about everyday. I always just counted them for their other rifles, never an AR. It is a good looking rifle though, don't know that I'd ditch the DD for it, maybe just add it to the collection. I picked around that Remmy Defense site for a little bit and they have some damn good looking firearms on there.

I wonder if I'd be able to order from there or not, I know I can order from the Oakley government site because I'm medically retired with a valid ID. Probably not, probably need to be with an agency or with a military unit I would guess.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
mjkeat -

I did not know they've been in the AR line for some time, I learn something new here just about everyday. I always just counted them for their other rifles, never an AR. It is a good looking rifle though, don't know that I'd ditch the DD for it, maybe just add it to the collection. I picked around that Remmy Defense site for a little bit and they have some damn good looking firearms on there.

I wonder if I'd be able to order from there or not, I know I can order from the Oakley government site because I'm medically retired with a valid ID. Probably not, probably need to be with an agency or with a military unit I would guess.
I don't know if they even produce them. Why not just SBR your DD lower and get another upper?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

The Remi ARs I've seen in stores tend to be all camo finish with no muzzle devices and more or less 18" flat tops. Like there chasing more of the sportsman rather than tactical niche.

They seem to sit on the rack and say, Hey there, look at me, I'm a nicer kind of AR.

They remind me of the old Honda Enduro adds. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" with the picture of a college yuppie sitting on one.

Tack

Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

I don't know if they even produce them. Why not just SBR your DD lower and get another upper?
I never even thought about it honestly, I was just expecting to buy another complete rifle instead when the time/money comes around. I just don't have the tools or patience to do a build, unless I bought a complete upper and lower, I can handle it from there lol.

Tack -
After you mentioned that their AR's are all camo'd up, I remember seeing an R-15, in .308 (I believe that was it) at Dick's a couple years ago for around $1500 I think it was. I forgot all about it, the real tree camo threw me off, still does now...used to seeing them in all black.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I must say, I dig their mono style... it's ak-ish... but pretty.
At least their using a dd rear sight( and front, i think?) Instead of inventing their own.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 02-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd be more interested in their version of the ACR if they ever release it to the civi market (doubt it though) but that is a pretty sweet looking rifle for sure

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"