Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hard chrome question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Default Hard chrome question

is a hard chrome finish always going to be silver?

I ask because I had ordered an M16 mil-spec BCG that was said to be made by the same company as Spike's BCGs. it arrived today. the inside of the carrier does not appear to be hard chromed like I expected.

it appears to have the same phosphate finish as the rest of the carrier and bolt.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2228 Times on 1448 Posts

All I've seen in industrial applications was shiny, but not mirror finish like a bumper or a motorcycle. It can look different sometimes, depends on the quality of finish underneath the chrome. It sounds like phosphate or parkerizing to me.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

chrome lined carrier means the hole the bolt is in is chrome lined and if its true milspec the inside of the gas key is also chromed. the rest of the carrier can have any finish. milspec is grey phosphate

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts

Right, I know hard chrome is not "nickel chrome plate" like the bumper on a 1959 Lincon. Just didn't know if it came in "black" haha.

a little upset that the site vendor I ordered from was a bit misleading in his description of this BCG, but what am I going to do? return it for a refund and wait another 4 months and pay even more money? He led me to believe it was a mil-spec M16 BCG, built exactly like the Spikes piece, but without the spikes name or price --kinda like when you go to the grocery store, and you have the Kroger brand of Mac-n-cheese sitting next to the Kraft Mac-n-cheese for half price...and right on the kroger box on the front it says "as compared to Kraft" and on the back in fine print it says "manufactured by kraft food industries for Kroger" (or whatever the fine print says)

oh well.

it seems to cycle fine in my AR, although I haven't really torture tested it yet.

since it's not the hard chrome lined where the bolt rides...what do I need to watch out for? faster wear, shorter life span?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

The reason the military wanted chrome lined is because its easier to get crud out of that critical area and harder for it to build up there.

You just need to do more frequent cleaning.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...