Handguard Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Handguard Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handguard Question

What is the difference in a free floating and non free floating handguard? I'm looking at this setup and it says it's non free floating yet others that I look at say free floating. What is this rookie missing? Thanks.

SOG Armory - Quality AR15 parts and M16 parts, AR15 and M16 accessories, AR-15, AR/15, AR 15

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Free floating means that it isn't attached to the barrel. This supposedly increases accuracy, as the barrel is allowed to move freely of the hand guard.

Those more knowledgeable in ARs will be along shortly to explain in greater detail the benefits to the AR.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Basically matt nailed if for you, except he used the words "supposedly" - which isn't the case... It's a fact, the same as free floating, or glass bedding, a bolt gun rifle action...

The barrel is left to react the same way each and every time a round is fired. In effect Barrel Harmonics are left undisturbed.

In a non free floated handguard, if you brace the weapon on a bench, or you use a sling, that is adding pressure to the barrel. The barrel then can not react the same way with each shot.

Now, if you have a 16" CQB room clearing weapon, and you are shooting from here to across the street at the further spot, it isn't going to matter much.

If you have a 20" custom built varmint gun and you are shooting out past 300 meters, it can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

CQB weapon, a free floated handguard will help dissipate heat. Which is nice if you are doing a lot of running and gunning.

I generally prefer them all the way around on all my AR's... and most of the police units & military guys we build for are the same way. Though they like to hang a lot of lights and sh!t off their forends...

JD

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

X2 on what JD said.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.