Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Handguard advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Default Handguard advice

I want to replace my Magpul MOE handguard with a free float handguard. I have a mid-length Gas system. What Im looking to do is replace front iron sights with low profile gas block. Then I want the handguard to cover the gas block, extending past it.

What kind of handguard should I look into?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I want to replace my Magpul MOE handguard with a free float handguard. I have a mid-length Gas system. What Im looking to do is replace front iron sights with low profile gas block. Then I want the handguard to cover the gas block, extending past it.

What kind of handguard should I look into?
You will need at least a rifle length hand guard, I used a Yankee Hill like this:

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_54&prod ucts_id=286

Midwest Industries, Daniel Defense and lots of others make good handguards.

Also, cut down and round off the mil spec front sight/gas block and you will have the best "lo pro" gas block for the money. A cut off saw, a bench or angle grinder and some cold blue is all you need. There are U-toob videos on how to do this cut down.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 11-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The two main types are quad rails and tubes.

Quads look tacticool , but are usually heavier. Plan on investing in rail covers or gloves to protect you support hand or if you dont like chips on your rails. If you plan on having a lot of accessories on your rail this is the way to go. Stay away from utg. Almost everything else is good to go. Daniel Defense makes smoe fantastically lw quads but are pricey.

Tubes are lighter but heat up and cool down faster. Plan on having gloves for you support hand if you are doing a lot of shooting in a short amount of time. Most models nowadays are modular so you can attach rail segments for various accessories. I personally prefer the MI ss gen 2 and Samson Evo/Rainer arms rails. Lighter and thinner.

Either types be sure to check inner diameter and you gas block dimensions. Also check to see if proprietary parts are needed to mount them to prevent any suprises when installing them.