Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Handgaurd and upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Handgaurd and upper?

I had 2 questions on building an ar upper...

First could I swap this basic style hand guard out for a free float handrail... Is the front fixed sight/gas block a permanent part of the gun?

Second how hard is it to install the BCG and the Charging handle properly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock
I had 2 questions on building an ar upper...

First could I swap this basic style hand guard out for a free float handrail... Is the front fixed sight/gas block a permanent part of the gun?

Second how hard is it to install the BCG and the Charging handle properly?
Yes all you have to do is replace the barrel nut. Most free float products come with the replacement ( well at least all the ones I looked at)
. No the gas block is not permanent, you just need a set of punches and a hammer to punch out the roll pins that hold it in place.
. And as far as installing a bcg and ch go. There is no real installation, all your doing is putting them inside the upper. The go in and out really easy.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay thanks!
How hard is it to change that nut? Also how does the gas block work with a free float rail?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/m4-optic-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

That's the upper I'm looking at.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock
Okay thanks!
How hard is it to change that nut? Also how does the gas block work with a free float rail?
Not hard, but if you don't have a the proper vice or the wrench for the upper receiver. you will need to take it to a shop to have it torqued on. And as far as gas blocks go, you can find a huge range of low profile gas block that you can install on your upper. And also just incase you need to see how it's done, you can find a ton of videos on YouTube

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you plan it right you don't necessarily have to remose the fsb or the nut.

You can cut down the fsb while still on the barrel, remove the top portion and leaving the lower gas block portion functional and intact.

If you use ff handgaurds such as the Troy Alpha, Midwest Industries SS gen2, or Samson Evos then you won't even have to remove the barrel or the barrel nut as thses units will attach directly to the standard nut and forged upper receivers.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Btw there are many other rails and handguards available that use the standard barrel nut. Those are just 3 lighweight and quality options.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #8

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

To change the barrel nutyou need a proper vice block for your action, a vice, a torque wrench and armorers wrench.

Some handguards come with a propietary nut that requires their own special tools to install.

Proper torque range on a barrel nut is 30 ft/lbs minimum, and not to exceed 80 ft/lbs.

Agenti Tikki gave you good suggestions on rails that don't require any special barrel nut.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yankee Hill Machine also makes a quad rail handguard that would replace the stock handguard without special tools. I haven't got one yet, but I will be ordering one for my .50 cal Beowulf upper next week.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #10

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

I have to say if you're asking how hard it is to install the BCG and CH then it's probably wise to buy the upper receiver group already configured - with the rail and gas block installed. Also, I'd put a lot of thought into what your intended uses are and make proper decisions as far as what goes into that upper.

Why not let us know what you want out of the AR and no doubt there'll be lots of advice on configurations. To get the "building" part out of your system, just build up a stripped lower, that's what a lot of us do.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.