Hand Guards: Favorite & Why - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hand Guards: Favorite & Why

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That looks sweet!!! I might have to look into one for my next build.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1037 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39

I love that. Where can I get one? Its free float yes?
Yes it most certainly is free float! I ordered it directly trough Lancer's website. I sent it off to have it hydro dipped to match the furniture on the rest of my build, but here is a couple of pics of it test fitted together. It is super light on the forward end of the gun!

image-3168201738.jpgimage-2535848572.jpgimage-1170625717.jpgimage-992012939.jpgimage-3947343581.jpgimage-3112746059.jpg
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
monteros Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #33

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
My favorite is by far the Magpul MOE, there are many reasons for this.

Its lightweight, much lighter than any quadrail and has the ability to have accessories attached through the slots and the use of rail sections. The top is tapered in such a way that makes it very ergonomic to me and the shape of the top of them with the cooling vents is reminiscent of the Vietnam era triangular handguards, which I have a soft spot for.

They are also very affordable at roughly $30. You can't go wrong I dont think.
Same for me as the above. I also have relatively small hands (actually, just short fingers) and they are about the largest handguard I can comfortably fit in my hands, including most factory models. I have them on at least three guns and they are probably the best bang for the buck you'll ever find out there.

You often hear the words good, cheap, or good and cheap. In the case of these guards they're both good AND cheap.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just upgraded to a Troy 13in alpha rail from the MOE carbine length. Nothing was wrong with the MOE, just I prefer an extended support hand while shooting and the smaller diameter tube aids in this technique IMO. Haven't shot with it yet but it feels incredibly sturdy and amazingly light for being 13 inches with a built in folding BUIS.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #35

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma35 View Post
Just upgraded to a Troy 13in alpha rail from the MOE carbine length. Nothing was wrong with the MOE, just I prefer an extended support hand while shooting and the smaller diameter tube aids in this technique IMO. Haven't shot with it yet but it feels incredibly sturdy and amazingly light for being 13 inches with a built in folding BUIS.
I haven't done a lot of shooting yet, but spent a lot of time thinking about what I intend to do with it and seemed like the same thinking for me. I ended up going with
Mostly because I loved the idea of no back plates. Mounting it this week, waiting for my upper vice block to show up.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #36

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

It isn't cheap but to my knowledge noveske nsr is one of the lightest and slimmest rails available and there keymod system is excellent

Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros
I haven't done a lot of shooting yet, but spent a lot of time thinking about what I intend to do with it and seemed like the same thinking for me. I ended up going with
Mostly because I loved the idea of no back plates. Mounting it this week, waiting for my upper vice block to show up.
What brand is that? It looks almost identical to the Troy Industries except the logo and subtle change in the circular hole pattern. How much if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #38

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHG-6M-RC

It's the JP Enterprises Rapid Config Hand Guard. The rails attachments points at 12, 1:30, 3 etc are all threaded into the hand guard so you can move the rails around and screw in from the outside "rapidly"

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHG-6M-RC

It's the JP Enterprises Rapid Config Hand Guard. The rails attachments points at 12, 1:30, 3 etc are all threaded into the hand guard so you can move the rails around and screw in from the outside "rapidly"
Interesting. I like the idea of being able to move the rails easily. Troys at a bitch trying to get the inside panel just right so the bolt will thread. Have to remove the rail cause its almost impossible trying to get behind the gas block. But hopefully I keep this configuration. All my 1913 rails are I front of the gas block anyway.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #40

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

JPs are nice, but really wide. I prefer the slimmer models. MI SS gen 2s also screw directly into the handguards and are slimmer and lighter and less expensive.