Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Hammer question on a lower build. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/hammer-question-lower-build-90562/)

Serapis 05-12-2013 06:46 PM

Hammer question on a lower build.

1 Attachment(s)
I just built my first lower from scratch and I have a question regarding the hammer. This is a spikes enhanced LPK in a DPMS lower. The hammer is super stiff to the point where it will sit halfway between cocked and fired.

Attachment 100676

When I fire it (without letting it strike the lower) it seems weak. Should I assume that this is a symptom of a brand new assembly and just lube it up and try and break it in, or is there a bigger problem? Mechanically everything seems ok. I can cock the hammer and pull the trigger. It just doesn't seem loose enough to strike with much force.

Thanks.

rifleman1 05-12-2013 07:05 PM

you might need check the side wall tolerences i always take a dremel and cclean up the sides a little if its to tight.

Quentin 05-12-2013 09:33 PM

Better double check the hammer spring/installation. No way the hammer should catch like that, it's not a 1911, no half cock!

SSGN_Doc 05-12-2013 11:02 PM

What Quentin said.

Make sure the legs of the springs are oriented correctly. Make sure the hammer can rotate on the pin freely before it is installed. Make sure the anti-rotation devices on the side are not causing problems.

Triumphman 05-13-2013 03:42 AM

Being your first build, did you use any oil on the Pins? Sounds like Hammer and other items may be dry. Give those suckers some oil, and I'll bet you won't have any hangups. Also Hammer Spring, if not installed correctly will give weak strikes, and possibly hangup, but with KNS Pins, you wouldn't know, because the Pins wouldn't pop out, like stock pins would/could.

Serapis 05-13-2013 01:47 PM

Thanks all for the advice. The springs are installed correctly. That I know for certain. I think that the problem is friction between the pin and the hammer. I have not yet lubricated the trigger system. I will do so tonight and report back on whether or not the hammer is still sticky. I guess I just didn't figure I'd have that much friction.

Serapis 05-13-2013 04:46 PM

Turns out it was just dry. I'll take my 50 lashes for being an idiot without complaining.

Quentin 05-13-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serapis (Post 1245418)
Turns out it was just dry...

Man I've never seen one dry enough to catch like that! Keep an eye on it.

ZombieKiller83 05-14-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serapis (Post 1245418)
Turns out it was just dry. I'll take my 50 lashes for being an idiot without complaining.

If it makes you feel better, I forgot to put in the disconnecter on my first build ;). Good thing I field tested it before touching off rounds

Garadex 05-14-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83
If it makes you feel better, I forgot to put in the disconnecter on my first build ;). Good thing I field tested it before touching off rounds

That would've been fun to find out at the range.