Guys! I need help. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Guys! I need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
meaning I would be buying 2 for 180. and my buddy would be payin me for one of them when he starts his build. no to mention that everywhere else i have found its at least 120 for a stripped lower.

And I am goin for Solid and Functional! plus on a budget.
Just bear in mind that in CA you cannot simply sell a lower to your buddy. All sales, including private sales must be through the DROS process...be careful. What you are describing above can be construed as a straw purchase.

Quote:
I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?

Yes. Firearm sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the; buyer is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements. "Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Example:
  1. For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
  2. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of$10.00 per each additional firearm transferred.
(PC section 12072(d))

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Go billet:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Receivers - Lowers | Mega Billet Lower - GTR-3S

"Never look back!" cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Just bear in mind that in CA you cannot simply sell a lower to your buddy. All sales, including private sales must be through the DROS process...be careful. What you are describing above can be construed as a straw purchase.
makes sense. In that case "I'm building 2". and in all honesty he keeps his other guns at my house since he lives on base and cant have them there. so he would only be storing/shooting it at my place and he leaves komie fornia before I do.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

So it sounds like the JD Company is a dealer and can do the transfer. Check to see if there is an extra charge for that. I'm betting there is. Most FFLs here in CA charge 75 to 125 for transfers. I got a Spikes lower from my FFL for 125 total including fees. Private party transfers are less. I think I paid 40 for that at Turners.

Keep us up to date.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok guys took the dive and went head first. Went it and paid for my 2 lowers plus background check and the rest of the fees. So in 10 days I will go and get my lowers. ill get some pics of them up then. oh and total for the 2 was 220 after all taxes and fees. not bad imho. then again i am a noob.

Oh they had a Kel tech there 5.56 pretty sweet folding stock and other goodies all built in it was pretty sweet and not a bad price like mid 500's ill see if i can find one online somewhere. anyone know what im talkin about.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This one Kel-Tec Model SU-16 Semi Automatic Sport Utility Rifle, 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, 19”, 10 + 1 - SU16 except it was 569 at the gun shop...

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Go billet:
Any opinion on Sun Devil lowers?

From what I've seen positive reviews for the most part, and they're based of out AZ and right now I like to buy AZ if I have any choice.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #18

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Just went to the local gun shop here in Santee. They are havin a sale on lowers from a local company called JD Machine. I have never heard of them untill today. They seem pretty legitimate and they look really well built and good quality plus they are the right price. 89.99 each if you buy 2 or 129.99 if you get one. Lucky me i have a buddy that also wants to start a build. what do you guys suggest?

Here's there website. JD Machine Tech, Inc. - San Diego, CA
Was curious so I did a little google research. Turns out JD Machine Tech is the former Kaiser Defense Industries. Rumor has it they manufacture both Noveske and Spike's Tactical lowers. Only complaints that I found were flaking finish near takedown pin holes, fixed with new anodizer, and isues with MAGPUL pistol grip screws not fitting in hole, apparently a common complaint related more to the MAGPUL grips than the lower.

In short they sound like quality lowers for a good price.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-12-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I talked to the guy at the gun shop. odviously hes tryin to get me to buy but he told me they sold a few in last couple months with no complaints. and he said the guy that owns jd machine tech was the guy that owns kaiser's brother and he usta work for them but split to start his own business. they also said SD swat and police force use there lower since its a local company... i figure that they should be fine. time to start buyin parts and tools now! anyone suggest a good quality lower parts kit for a good price?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Have you been doing any reading in the other build threads? There's a gold mine of suggestions just waiting to be dug through. At the very least you could see what parts kits others have decided to use.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face