Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Guys! I need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Guys! I need help.

Just went to the local gun shop here in Santee. They are havin a sale on lowers from a local company called JD Machine. I have never heard of them untill today. They seem pretty legitimate and they look really well built and good quality plus they are the right price. 89.99 each if you buy 2 or 129.99 if you get one. Lucky me i have a buddy that also wants to start a build. what do you guys suggest?

Here's there website. JD Machine Tech, Inc. - San Diego, CA

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I bought a no-name lower. I don't think $129 is a smokin' deal by any means, and I can't imagine why you'd buy 2 unless you wanted to build 2. For my second AR build I plan on going with some better materials so I went value on the first one.

Do you want the best? Or do you just want solid and functional? If that's the goal, then $129 isn't the best deal out there.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 08-11-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Look at the new guy just jumping in with both feet and laying down the law.

The hell Chris??

I agree with everything he said, he just doesn't get to go from asking questions last week to taking my thunder this week.

JD

Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I bought a no-name lower. I don't think $129 is a smokin' deal by any means, and I can't imagine why you'd buy 2 unless you wanted to build 2. For my second AR build I plan on going with some better materials so I went value on the first one.

Do you want the best? Or do you just want solid and functional? If that's the goal, then $129 isn't the best deal out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
...89.99 each if you buy 2 or 129.99 if you get one. Lucky me i have a buddy that also wants to start a build....
]
meaning I would be buying 2 for 180. and my buddy would be payin me for one of them when he starts his build. no to mention that everywhere else i have found its at least 120 for a stripped lower.

And I am goin for Solid and Functional! plus on a budget.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Really?

SPIKES TACTICAL : Stripped AR-15 Lower Receiver (100-004-685) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Home

There are a couple in just about 5 minutes of looking. Perhaps you should shop around a bit before you do anything rash....

Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My bad on the price. $90 for one stripped lower is a pretty good deal. Good enough for me to bite if I was building right now and knew the company. I think that was the price for mine.

JD-I don't normally spit my drink when I read a post, but I feel duly chastised. I'm just glad my "advice" is so quickly peer-reviewed for fidelity.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really?

SPIKES TACTICAL : Stripped AR-15 Lower Receiver (100-004-685) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Home

There are a couple in just about 5 minutes of looking. Perhaps you should shop around a bit before you do anything rash....
i have seen them cheaper online, i meant at the local stores. im sure i can find them for less but it would still be about the same after ffl fees and shipping and transfer fees. at least i think it will. maybe im crazy lol

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im on a budget but not a budget build. budget of 1000 since this is a over time build. so i plan on savin on the lower so i can put more money into the stock/free float/ upper/optics. want to build a really solid upper for the time being. and eventually ill upgrade the lower and then build another out of this lower.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #9

I'll throw i my $0.02. I built my AR on an RRA lower. Frankly, I'm darn glad I did. Everyone recognizes Rock River as a sound gun, most have no idea the thing was built from a stripped lower. Now it sports a White Oak upper. This combination is acknowledged by many far more experienced AR folks than I as a great combo. The other caveat is resale. Just as you had to ask about the company you do not recognize, if you build on 'brand name' pieces, others will be confident in the rifle should the need to sell arise. The extra $20 you spend on the lower will be returned then.

I would urge you to factor in a trigger upgrade in you build. The Rock River 2 stage is good, there are others that are better in my opinion, but they are not cheap. Just some food for thought.

Congrats on the decision to build. Even if you can buy one cheaper, you'll never have the connection to it like the one you put together.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Keep in mind that this is CA.... My stripped lower was $180 and it was the cheapest one around. M&P stripped lowers go for $250. Most FFLs will charge $80 transfer, so a $70 lower online still costs $150 by the time it gets to him. Sad but true in CA

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields