Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gun store blues regarding Delton or build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No, I am a little lost there. I am in no hurry, and want good parts here for sure. Definitely lighter than not. Haven't even thought through sights yet, but lean toward a simple scope, 3-9x32/40 or so. Free float? Maybe; I like the concept. I am still trying to comprende the basics of upper parts, and promise to do nothing until I know for what, lol. Thanx for asking, tk

Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 487

If someone has no experience with an AR-15, it's hard to expect them to make good decisions on what parts they should buy. I have built two AR-15's from complete kits. I have so little interest in shooting an AR-15 I still couldn't buy parts and assemble a gun that is better than the DPMS kits I bought. The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the sights. I bought two sets of sights that were very similar to the M16 military issue sights and I am happy as a lark. They are both golf ball killing machines. Golf balls are all I have shot with either gun except when I sighted them in.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 670 Times on 344 Posts

Can I hijack this thread for my own selfish purpose? At 100-300 yards what's the accuracy difference between free float and non free float, 1 inch, 3 inches, how much?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #54

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
... I have built two AR-15's from complete kits. I have so little interest in shooting an AR-15 I still couldn't buy parts and assemble a gun that is better than the DPMS kits I bought...
I can't buy that. It doesn't take much thought to improve on a DPMS kit.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #55

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
No, I am a little lost there. I am in no hurry, and want good parts here for sure. Definitely lighter than not. Haven't even thought through sights yet, but lean toward a simple scope, 3-9x32/40 or so. Free float? Maybe; I like the concept. I am still trying to comprende the basics of upper parts, and promise to do nothing until I know for what, lol. Thanx for asking, tk
Tom, only you can decide what optics are right for you. I'm personally not a fan of very much magnification on a lightweight rifle and prefer a good solid red dot. But that is just my preference. I do have a 1-4x24 on my wanna-be SPR.

Here is a nice lightweight upper from PSA if you want it pre-assembled http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/16/psa-16-mid-length-pencil-profile-cl-mp-premium-upper.html

If you are thinking about building your own upper, I did a build thread on my upper that should be floating around on here somewhere that might help answer a few questions. Don't hesitate to ask if you have them.

FWIW, I think the lower build kit from PSA was a really good deal at that price. Even if you upgrade the stock later, it was a good deal. It's almost worth grabbing one for the "just in case" shelf.

Last edited by russ; 12-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #56

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Can I hijack this thread for my own selfish purpose? At 100-300 yards what's the accuracy difference between free float and non free float, 1 inch, 3 inches, how much?
That's a good question. I don't know if I've even seen it quantified, but I'm sure it's been done. My guess is it wouldn't be enough for the average shooter to see on any given day shooting off hand. Now if you were talking about a bench gun or if you mount a bipod, that would be a different story. I could see mounting a bipod to a free float rail being far more repeatable than mounted directly to the barrel.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #57

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As the OP, I am an admitted total novice to the AR platform, but not to the shooting arts; both firearm and airgun related, rifle and pistol. I feel comfortable, with the knowledge base here and research elswhere online, that I can put together a solid rifle with decent parts at an affordable price. I will certainly know much more about my rifle than if I bought it off the shelf. Price? Maybe a little or somewhat more than a base price AR. I'm ok with that. Bet I end up with something that works well and suits my fancy. Right now I have 500.00 left in the budget to meet my 750.00 target price total for a decent rifle, and I need a complete upper, sans sights. Might make it , might not. I bet I will learn a little about AR hardware in the process though. tk

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #58

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Tom, only you can decide what optics are right for you. I'm personally not a fan of very much magnification on a lightweight rifle and prefer a good solid red dot. But that is just my preference.

Here is a nice lightweight upper from PSA if you want it pre-assembled http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/16/psa-16-mid-length-pencil-profile-cl-mp-premium-upper.html

If you are thinking about building your own upper, I did a build thread on my upper that should be floating around on here somewhere that might help answer a few questions. Don't hesitate to ask if you have them.

FWIW, I think the lower build kit from PSA was a really good deal at that price. Even if you upgrade the stock later, it was a good deal. It's almost worth grabbing one for the "just in case" shelf.
Thanx, that's what I thought, so I just bought it. Much wisdom here advocates building basic the first time, and I agree wholeheartedly with that principle, thanx, tk

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #59

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Very nice upper that Russ recommended, tomykay12. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the pencil barrel, I have two rifles configured that way and they give you a very light AR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #60

Tk did the barrel come with a fixed front sight? If it did that will save some cash. Just get a magpul buis. I like the fixed front sights very much. If not I've seen complete magpul sight sets for as little as 60.00 dollars on bing shopping. Be ware Chinese knock offs though. They are easy to spot because they are all plastic. Good luck with your build. Oh and check out the vortex strike fire red dot. There is some quality controversy but I've had good luck with both of mine.