Gun store blues regarding Delton or build - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gun store blues regarding Delton or build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh, and I am ok with the wait.... patience is a good thing, and there is a lot of information to sort through before anything comes of this gun part. BTW, the sales guy at Turners wanted to sell me a trigger lock with this part, whew, tk

Last edited by tomykay12; 12-01-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #22

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Aaaaa ive only purchased online from them. Fast shipping. The finger stylus/ finger bullet button tool makes manipulating your bullet button almost as fast as a standard mag release.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my limited experience, assembling an AR is a good idea if you have specific features in mind, and you are willing to pay the freight for a mid- to upper price range gun. If you are interested in an entry-level firearm, which your budget suggests, assembling your own offers no significant cost benefit over buying the sale item at Turner's or Big 5. Professionals and guys seeking greater accuracy are a different story.

If you like to tinker and want to assemble your personal version of what an AR should be, J D Machine Tech (over on Morena Boulevard) will sell you a stripped upper and lower for about $290 out the door. They are a local company, and the quality seems to be excellent. They are nice folks and they treat you right!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #24

I would like to add that you can build a better rifle at the same price point as a DPMS or Delton. You just have to be patient and look for sales, group buys, and free shipping promotions. Also buying it all from the same or just a couple sources will save you on shipping costs. Wheeling and dealing at gun shows will save you some cashola too! It will take time tho, so its not for the impatient.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-01-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I would like to add that you can build a better rifle at the same price point as a DPMS or Delton. You just have to be patient and look for sales, group buys, and free shipping promotions. Also buying it all from the same or just a couple sources will save you on shipping costs. Wheeling and dealing at gun shows will save you some cashola too! It will take time tho, so its not for the impatient.
+1 that is definatly the truth i built a better quality lower exactly how i wanted it for about the same as it would have cost me to just buy one. hey tikki do you know of any places that do group buys or does anyone organize them on here?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #26

Calguns.net is another haunt of mine.
AR15.com has a lot of them, just gotta act fast over there.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Calguns.net is another haunt of mine.
AR15.com has a lot of them, just gotta act fast over there.
Yeah ar15 won't let me register on their site because the only email I have is a gmail acct. What a joke

Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #28

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I bought a STAG a few weeks ago and it's been great for me so far...$840 out of the box.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1106 Times on 777 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

Quote:
This is so very true!

I just don't get it why people put so little thought in buying DPMS, DTI, Bushamster, Windham and others when you can do it right yourself for a great price - or buy a properly built AR at about the same price point.

It makes no sense when with a little research you can get your choice and tailor the barrel profile, barrel twist, barrel length, gas system length, sight height, BCG type, muzzle device, handguards, stock, grip, receiver extension diameter, rollmark, trigger, ... (well, you get the picture!)

And the research is fun to boot. Satisfaction with your build is priceless too. As is showing off your custom build to your lazy friends who bought a daily driver off the rack. Call this line of thought elitism if you want but if you go through the enjoyable, educational process you won't.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Scorpion Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am not trying to be argumentative here, so please be courteous with a guy who is just not seeing the same picture that the rest of the forum is seeing.

I must be doing something radically wrong, and I need help understanding all of this.

I am confused about how someone can assemble a "better" basic, entry level AR than can be bought pre-assembled for the same price. I understand the advantages of building a fairly specific, mid- to higher-priced rifle from components, and how this makes sense for many reasons, including cost. I just don't see how folks can build a better stripped-down carbine for less than the cost of a comparable factory gun.

Turner's usually has a basic AR on sale for about $700, or $785 after sales tax and DOJ fees. If I were to try to build that entry-level carbine at that price, I'm thinking the best I could do (buying out-of-state to avoid sales tax and using the minimum number of vendors) would look about like this:

(I have been buying stripped uppers and lowers from JD Machine Tech because they are local to me and the quality appears equal to everybody else's receivers. The lowers cost $130, the uppers $120, and sales tax and DOJ fees swell that figure up to around $300.)

Upper and lower $300
Stock and mount kit 70
Handguard 30
Charging handle 30
LPK 50
Gas block and tube 40
One magazine 10
Barrel 150
BCG 100
Turner's sale AR $785

Those are the cheapest non-critical parts I generally see, probably no better or worse than on the off-the-rack gun, nothing premium or custom. That leaves only $150 for the barrel and $100 for the BCG. Back in the day when I had a job, we called that "Mr. Low Bid" and we said it with contempt!

How is that gun "better" than the entry level AR you can buy off the rack? What am I doing wrong? Please help me to understand.