Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Gun store blues regarding Delton or build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Gun store blues regarding Delton or build

Hi. So ... went to my local AR15 dedicated store today with hopes of buying a Spikes lower for 99.99 plus fees, and heading down the build path. After wading through six deep at the counter, the sales rep tells me the price has increased overnite due to demand, and BTW it is not a Spikes anymore but a Sun Devil for 160.00. That is the bare bones deal of the day. Thinking a build may not be for me after all I happen to mention a Delton sport on sale nearby for 599; he says it is junk, but cannot explain exactly why. I am finding all this a little depressing as I was considering this option instead of building. I have read the Delton vs. thread below and can come to no conclusion regarding the quality of the DT Sport, though I know it is a bare bones model, flat top, optics ready. The gas key is staked, as well as the castle nut. I am not going to Afghanistan tomorrow, have no military wannabe genes, but would like a decent rifle though my comfortable budget cap is 700-750.00. My other option locally right now has the Smith and Wesson M/P lower for 130.00 plus fees putting me back on the build path. Any wisdom here is greatly appreciated, thankyou, tk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Liked 733 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 702

You have to decide yourself whether you want to build something good or settle for less off the shelf. And right now parts are in short supply with elevated prices. Unfortunately this is a rough time to buy a good AR. I'd say do it right, at least with a PSA build and remember that patience is your friend in the long run. A lot of people settle for something less but there's a good chance there will be buyer's remorse as you get more familiar with the platform.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Look around online...stripped lowers and BCGs are hard to find right now but there are still deals to be found if you work at it. Personally, I would have told the "dedicated AR store" snob to shove that $160 lower. High demand is one thing...price gouging pisses me off.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Liked 93 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
Hi. So ... went to my local AR15 dedicated store today with hopes of buying a Spikes lower for 99.99 plus fees, and heading down the build path. After wading through six deep at the counter, the sales rep tells me the price has increased overnite due to demand, and BTW it is not a Spikes anymore but a Sun Devil for 160.00. That is the bare bones deal of the day. Thinking a build may not be for me after all I happen to mention a Delton sport on sale nearby for 599; he says it is junk, but cannot explain exactly why. I am finding all this a little depressing as I was considering this option instead of building. I have read the Delton vs. thread below and can come to no conclusion regarding the quality of the DT Sport, though I know it is a bare bones model, flat top, optics ready. The gas key is staked, as well as the castle nut. I am not going to Afghanistan tomorrow, have no military wannabe genes, but would like a decent rifle though my comfortable budget cap is 700-750.00. My other option locally right now has the Smith and Wesson M/P lower for 130.00 plus fees putting me back on the build path. Any wisdom here is greatly appreciated, thankyou, tk
I bet if that gun shop had a DelTon in stock they would have told you it is the best AR15 for the money that you could buy. Mine shoots great.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have heard good things about the Delton locally, are there better options out there, sure. I have heard a lot of good things about the smith and wesson m&p also. Dont take me for an ar expert, just giving you what i have experienced. I was in the same boat as you and ended up going with a palmetto state armory rifle kit and a spikes stripped lower.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You can get a psa lower for $100 I got one and love it. The quality is great! Others will tell you the same. I actually got my lower on gun broker for $90 shipped. You might want to check there. I then had to pas a $20 transfer fee but that's a better deal than from psa. Give it a look

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomykay12 View Post
Not a bad budget.

I <3 LOVE <3 the roll mark on that S&W lower. I'd pay a premium for that!

If you have the patience, build it.

Its soo much sweeter and you can have something soo much nicer if you build it yourself. Your build is >>>> Delton, DTI, DPMS, etc etc.

Really.

I honestly just like building them whether for myself or for my friends. Half the fun is tracking everything down and figuring out what I want on the buildsheet.

If you're stuck, there's a ton of people including myself that will help you along on your way.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

oh and read this.....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

I wrote it just for you!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Look around online...stripped lowers and BCGs are hard to find right now but there are still deals to be found if you work at it. Personally, I would have told the "dedicated AR store" snob to shove that $160 lower. High demand is one thing...price gouging pisses me off.
Yes, price gouging pisses me off as well. I most probably will not go back there because of that. At least the sales rep admitted the upcharge was not due to supply cost increase; gotta give him that. Hope this mania quiets down. Right now I am leaning toward the m/p stripped lower locally for 130 and look for deals as they come up on parts. tk

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for Tikki. He is a wealth of knowledge and will help a ton. He did for me and his primer is killer. Thanks again tikki. You are a staple to this AR forum