Gun show coming...perfect time to start building an AR - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Gun show coming...perfect time to start building an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Megaton,
Your math is correct. It is easy to eclipse the $1k price barrier when pricing out the parts for an SUR. But as others have said it is possible to find the parts and assemble one yourself for less. I would say it is still possible to get one done for $800-$850. Although you might still have to wait for some parts.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #12

I can't really blame people for the trying to make a buck when the opportunity arises, but it sure is a shame for the buyer. If I can walk out of there with a complete upper for 500 or less I will be pleased. If I can walk out with a complete gun pre assembled or not in the 8-900 range, I will be pleased. And if I can't, I will walk out of there still pleased, probably with something else that might have demanded my attention.

Again, big thanks to everyone for the help/advice and I will keep you posted.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
I can't really blame people for the trying to make a buck when the opportunity arises, but it sure is a shame for the buyer. If I can walk out of there with a complete upper for 500 or less I will be pleased. If I can walk out with a complete gun pre assembled or not in the 8-900 range, I will be pleased. And if I can't, I will walk out of there still pleased, probably with something else that might have demanded my attention.

Again, big thanks to everyone for the help/advice and I will keep you posted.
Megaton...

A little more than $500, but....

cmmg upper?

This isn't a bad deal either

Slo

Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #14

Is it the brand or the features that make that particular upper a good deal?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
Is it the brand or the features that make that particular upper a good deal?
Megaton,

Both If you do a search, it has all the features you want your carbine to have.

But...it might already be too late

Slo

Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #16

Well the gun show was a disappointment to say the least. Selection was ok, prices were another story. People were trying to get 900 for a WASR-10 and 700 for an upper without BCG. Didn't see an assembled rifle for under 1200.

I didn't come home empty handed as I did pick up an sks and a couple of mags for my glock.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hear ya Megaton. I've run into the same problem for my AR build. I'm going to check out a local shop that is supposed to have good prices.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #18

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Sorry to hear that Megaton. But congrats on your other finds.

If your still wanting the AR check Gunbroker daily. Sometimes you can find one just listed with a buy it now feature. That's how I got my DPMS AR10, it had been listed for only 2 minutes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well at least you came home with something

keep the chin up and your eyes open on the equipment exchanges in some of the AR forums. there's always something coming up for sale. the only problem is...you have to be right there when it does, because everything today is going faster than it came in, and beware of the gougers.

most of the parts that you see for sale in the equipment exchanges, were just purchased from one of the vendors, sometimes the very same day, at INFLATED prices but that's AMERICA and capitalism.

keep an eye on sites like PKFirearms, Bravo Co., etc, as they have been getting parts in lately, but like I said, they are gone like the wind if you aren't there.

post some pics of the new toys when you can, and good luck on the search.

Slo

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #20

Hey Megaton, gun shows are nice to shop sometimes because you get to see all of the different configurations and accessories in person and learn what you like and dislike, sometimes its hard to pick all of your parts from pictures and descriptions, I always like to see things in person.