Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Gun Jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/gun-jamming-1562/)

Ronald_Raygun 08-06-2007 04:49 PM

Gun Jamming

I just got a preban Eagle Arms , and was shooting PMP 55gr FMJ's, after about 3 or 4 shots, my rifle kept jamming up. The bullet heads are getting stuck at the feed into the chamber and sometimes it would damage the bullets pretty bad trying to load them. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thx

ranger_sxt 08-06-2007 08:05 PM

Make sure the gun is well-lubed.

Try a different magazine.

Etho 08-07-2007 06:24 AM

What mags are you using?

AR Hammer 08-07-2007 04:09 PM

Where is the bolt in relationship to the round in the magazine?
Is the bolt hitting the side of the round, or is it behind the round where it's supposed to be?

(If the bolt is behind the round pushing like it's supposed to be...)
Is it happening EVERY round, or every other round?
If the offending round is always on the same side of the mag, then you have a bent magazine lip.
(Remember, your mag alternates, left-right-left-right...)

Some magazines have the locking hole higher or lower than it's supposed to be, this will cause feed problems.
Some bullet shapes or nose types (soft point or open hollow points in particular) will give some rifles problems.

Heavier rounds have a different curve to the front of the bullet (Steeper Taper) and will cause problems in some rifles.
----------

If your bolt is hitting the side of the round, you have a different problem...
I really don't want to get into that unless that's what's happening to yours.

robocop10mm 08-07-2007 06:13 PM

jamming

Is this a carbine? The carbine requires a different feed ramp on the barrel extension. If a rifle extension was used to build a carbine you could run into trouble. The extension is VERY hard and cannot be modified. It is likely either an incorrect extension or a mag problem.

Does it happen with every mag? Do you have green followers in the mags (30 rounders)?

Worst case scenario is the lower is not built to specs and the mag release is in the wrong location not allowing the magazinie to sit in the well at the proper height.

ranger_sxt 08-07-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 5930)
Is this a carbine? The carbine requires a different feed ramp on the barrel extension. If a rifle extension was used to build a carbine you could run into trouble. The extension is VERY hard and cannot be modified. It is likely either an incorrect extension or a mag problem.

That's funny, none of the three carbines I have within arm distance have a M4 Barrel extension. All 3 run like raped apes...

Etho 08-07-2007 11:54 PM

Um there is only two barrel extensions for Ar's. M4 and non M4. I have carbines and rifles alike with M4 and non M4 and they all run fine.

You run into problems when you use a non m4 extension with an m4 upper receiver and visa versa.