Grips, stocks, slings, lights, sights, optics, magazines, etc... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Grips, stocks, slings, lights, sights, optics, magazines, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Magpul Miads on everything. Try one, and you will never go back. And they eliminate the hole rubbed in the middle finger (anyone who has used an M16 or AR15 a LOT knows what hole I'm talking about). I use the core with the spare bolt and firing pin. AR bolts crack easily. DPMS makes an affordable bolt that eliminates bolt tilt, and the associated cracking.

Magpul CTR stocks are awesome for retractables. Nothing better that I have used. But I have one M4 with an old A1 trapdoor stock. It is a good compromise stock. Short enough for easy use, long enough to use comfortably.

BAD lever is easy to install, and easy to learn. Jury is still out for me. I like to KISS as much as possible.

Mags?

PMags are impossible to beat. Like AUG mags for the AR.
But the Brownells mags with Magpul followers and chrome silicon springs are flawless and fit all GI pouches.
CMMG mags with their 3 strand chrome sil braided, ceramic coated springs and their stainless steel followers are 100% GTG.
C-Products blackened stainless mags with Magpul followers and chrome sil springs don't "feel" as smooth as the CMMG's, but they are also 100% GTG, and they are very affordable.
If the Tripp mags are as good as their 1911 mags, they would be world class.

But with PMags at $12-$14, why use anything else?

The best way to go cheap with mags is to upgrade old USGI mags with Magpul followers and chrome sil springs.

Mounts are all LaRue. Period. Aimpoint Comp M3's with 2 MOA dots. No optic faster, or more durable. Battery life is measured in years, not hours.

I made my own slings years ago, before any of the cool new slings were on the market, and am still using them. But the Magpul sling gets HIGH marks from a friend who has them on all of his AR's. So does the Vickers sling, which I have used on M14's. It is good stuff.

My light is still an old Surefire. They are bomb proof.

I don't like lots of rails, so only put them on where I "need" something.

A friend has a huge mag funnel on his AR and swears by it for 3 gun. I may try one out, too.

I have Enidine buffers in two (an M4 and a CAR) and they work beautifully. Don't believe the bad reviews, the writers must have an agenda. I have converted a couple of "non-believers" and they now feel the same way.

I'm using SEI muzzle breaks and like them, but the JP's are mo better, I think.

I love the versatility of the AR. Truly the "Mr. Potatohead" of the carbine world.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put the miad grip on my lower that im building, very comfortable but then again i havent gotten to shoot it yet since i dont have a upper. however I do have a question has anyone every tried putting the CMMG .22 conversion bolt in there MIAD handle. that would make for one hell of a survival rifle...
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 09-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While my experience is much more limited, I would echo what M14sRock said. Every bit of Magpul gear I've used I like. This would include Pmags, MIAD grip, CTR stock, and RVG foregrip.

I've used C Products and AR-Stoner mags with good results, but still prefer the Pmags.

I like my EOTech 512. But I don't do any competition or anything, just fun shooting.

I really like the ACE stock on my target/varmint gun. Solid and lightweight, plus I think it looks cool as hell, which we all know is an important concern.

And mach1337, the CMMG .22lr conversion is more than just the bolt, it replaces the whole BCG and is way too big to fit in a pistol grip, but it was a good thought.

Last edited by russ; 09-07-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure. it looked too long to fit.
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #15

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So Far-
MagPul CTR/MOE Stocks... Both are wonderful.
The Moe Pistol grip- Love it
Cheapo "Smith&Wesson" Light... very pissed at it. This is the second time it just randomly decides to die after being in my car.... okay so it got pretty hot, but still pissed. In a survival situation it could be my butt... Looking for a good light with Remote switch, Suggestions?
MBUS-Love them, I swear I'm drinking the MP koolaid.
20 Rnd Pmag- Opps... forgot to try it at the range. therefore it still sits loaded in my range bag.
BCM Gunfighter: Large- So far beyond worth it, I'll swear by it until I die.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
... I swear I'm drinking the MP koolaid.
die.
If the stuff works and you like it, who cares what flavor the kool-aid is? Grips, stocks, slings, lights, sights, optics, magazines, etc... - AR-15 Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If the stuff works and you like it, who cares what flavor the kool-aid is? Grips, stocks, slings, lights, sights, optics, magazines, etc... - AR-15 Discussion
Very true although I always have an eye open for new things.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think im goin with the mbuis on my build what do you all think about them?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Magpul PRS stock and BADD lever, metal Promag magazine, Tac Latch, Bushnell Banner scope, Accuwedge, and I forget who made the grip, it's a target style grip with a palm rest. Dig all of it though.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
I think im goin with the mbuis on my build what do you all think about them?
The MBus is reliable and works great. Ive found them for $80 as compared to $200 for a set of Troys. Save your $120 and buy more mags and ammo or whatever other parts you need.