Is this as great a deal as i think it is?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is this as great a deal as i think it is?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is this as great a deal as i think it is?

Recently window shopping at RRA (Rock River Arms) site and saw several sweet deals on their LAR-15 Elite Operator 2, and Entry Operator 2 rifles. After reading the basics for AR's...I don't know which rifle would be better suited to my needs. The only noticeable differences(and these may be HUGE!) is that the elite op 2 has a mid--length gas system and DOES NOT have the m4 barrel. Any ideas which is MORE important, gas system length...or barrel configuration? Which, if either, would you buy...for $1000.00 shipped with choice of rear-sight assembly, it seems like a great deal. oh yeah, which rear-sight assembly is best...I don't have a EO Tech optic......yet.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I had the Entry Op 2 and loved it. The barrel was slightly heavy (it had the HBAR) for my intended purposes but it was dead nuts accurate. I am now in the market for a Mid-length though due to the more rail space and the little amount of lessened recoil

Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3050 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

This may or may not help, but here it is anyway, enjoy:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/range-report-review-rock-river-arms-tactical-operator-2-a-70067/
FWIW, I bought mine at the LGS. It came with the removable carry handle/rear sight. I think I would have preferred the flip down as a backup to the optic instead of a replacement for it.
I won't be getting into the gas system vs. barrel length issue. Have you read this?:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
If not, I suspect it may answer some of your questions.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Yes, definitely read the AR Primer before dropping a grand on a rifle when you don't know anything about barrel profiles. And at that price I'd be looking at other brands.

BTW, why does it bother you that a middlength doesn't have the M4 barrel?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I wrote a little ditty just 4 u!

It'll provided you with a lot of answers and some food for thought!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I wrote a little ditty just 4 u!

It'll provided you with a lot of answers and some food for thought!
Of course I read the beginners primer....that's why I asked!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

In this day and age, $1000 is a great deal. I would research RRA's customer service tho, iirc there are some unhappy people on this forum. IIRC, I think that people ordered ARs, had to wait months for it to ship, then didn't get what they ordered, complained and were basically told to shine off. Also take care to find out when they will actually ship your AR to you. I believe there is a LONG wait for their stuff.

As for carbine vs middy gas, I prefer middy. Honestly tho, you will be happy either way.

A little food for thought, I've noticed that a middy gas block is right about where I put the palm of my supoprt hand on the handguards for most of my freehand shooting positions, I may be switching back to a carbine 14.5" so that the gas block isn't directly under my support hand as it kinda.....no it gets hot.

My friend has a carbine 14.5 heavy barrel. Granted it does have a h1 buffer, and a Surefire mb556 brake, and it is a fat pig, but its one of the softest shooting carbines I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. It does weigh a good 1.5# more than my 16" lightweight build tho.

In the end, look at the gas system pros and cons, they are about equal. Think to yourself whats more important to you. Make your choice, and then share the gun pron with us!

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

M4 Profile is an aesthetics thing. It's actual purpose for the military is that it facilitates the attachment of the M203 40 mm grenade launcher which of course is a "destructive device" and therefore not available to us lowly serfs.

There are legal 37 mm flair launchers that you can put on an AR and the M4 profile would make this easier.

Mid length VS Full Length is also a preference thing but it is important to note that Mid Length gas systems do produce much more fouling in the receiver than the full length systems.

You'd probably need to be an old Grunt like me to notice but I carried the M16 A2 for 6 years of active duty and I was shocked at the increased amount of grime and crud produced by my first Mid Length AR.

All that said, I still prefer DGI to the piston guns, even the Mid Lengths, and I compensate with an aftermarket Rock River Chrome Plated Bolt and BCG. These really help make clean up MUCH easier so if you can pay a little extra for it when your order, I'd highly recommend it.

Oh, and 1k in this market for a complete rifle is not a bad deal.

Good Luck

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #9

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Good deal today (for someone who likes RRA) I guess but not when the thread was created!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #10

>< crap necropost.