Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Okay...I'm not really going to ask this question because I KNOW it has been covered somewhere else on this forum, I just can't find it. Someone please direct me to it if you can..

My question is, which grain .223/5.56 should I be shooting if my use is for 100 yard range fun and home defense?
Thanks..

So far my only understanding about ammo is that heavier grains are more ideal for longer range shooting...
Maybe I'm wrong. Even if I'm right, I'm sure there's more to it than that..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #2

Liked 386 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Shoot whichever is cheapest.
This will generally be 55 gr FMJ.

Some will ask you what your rifling is; 1 in 7 or 1 in 9, but despite a lot of internet hot air, real world testing has shown that 55gr groups equally in 1 in 7 and 1 in 9 barrels, though it is theoretically more at home in 1 in 9 barrels.

The other common grain the 62 gr is often slightly more expensive and offers a dubious penetration advantage in some applications but likely not in yours.

69 and greater grain match rounds exist, but usually you will take full advantage of them in 1 in 7 barrels (though some 1 in 9's like the Ruger barrels seem to do great up until 77 gr which is hard to explain)

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

It depends. You're too vague now, need to give much more information.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
It depends. You're too vague now, need to give much more information.
16" mid length gas. 1:7 twist. BCM upper.
And I want it for use for home defense and fun at the range at about 100 yards..

What other information should I give to get a better idea on which grain would be ideal?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

the wife and i use 55grain hornady vmax and 62grain milsurp greentip ss109 for home defense. the vmax is nasty and and about as guarenteed a first shot stop as any rifle can be. the ss109 is in case we need to shoot through a barrier (not likely to be needed). we both have bcm 1:7 twist barrels.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead View Post
16" mid length gas. 1:7 twist. BCM upper.
And I want it for use for home defense and fun at the range at about 100 yards..

What other information should I give to get a better idea on which grain would be ideal?
JonM's answer will do very nicely for you. For home defense consider penetration, as in going through walls to hurt innocents, so give thought to what he said. With 1/7" twist, at the range you'll be able to use anything from 52gr on up to 80+.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

AFAIK-the .223 ammo originally used 40 to 55 grain bullets.

The 5.56 military ammo used 55 to 80 grain bullets.

with the more aggressive twist rates, such as 1:7 or

1:9, the heavier grain ammo works better.

The lighter ammo is better for the 1:12 and 1:10 twist rates.

Case in point: I have an upper with a 22"-1:7 barrel, so I seek

60-80 grain ammo, which is currently hard to find.

Some folks are claiming the 40 grain ammo breaks up,

or starts keyholing prematurely; in the longer barrels with

1:7 twist rates.

These days you are seeing ".223/5.56" listed right on the ammo

box in many instances, so the differences in the two ammo types

is beginning to get somewhat blurred.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

one other thing if you cant find vmax grab the hornady zombie ammo its the exact same thing with a green tip instead of red. i just prefer the red tip vmax since at a very quick glance i know what ammo is in the mag.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With your 1n7 twist you have a ton of good choices...
Here are my suggestions.

Home defense only...
http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/20-round-box-223-rem-speer-gold-dot-64-grain-golddot-soft-point-ammo-24448 ... if you can find it, buy it
or...
http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/20-rds-556mm-bonded-winchester-ranger-64gr-jsp-ammo-ra556b

Both of those will get'er done for the home part.

Range fodder.... Fed. XM193... will serve well at the range for blasting ammo.... as well as a "Fair" HD round if you had to.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/223-5-56/federal-xm193bk-5-56-1000rd-case.html

More range fodder... except cheap... cheap to me means, It goes bang every pull of the trigger and has a good reputation, .223 55gr ammo.
PMC Bronze, Fed. American Eagle, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, Winchester USA .

Very cheap.... ( not really a fan, but 10's of thousands shooters are ) Wolf , Tula in that order. ( Tula can be underpowered. )

I have not included Prvi. because I have not ever bought any.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At 100 yard it doesn't really matter much unless you're trying to put the bullet through the same hole twice. In general the 70's shoot well in the 1:7, 60's in the 1:8, and 50's in the 1:9. However any rate of turn will shoot any of these grain ammo.

http://chicagogunsmith.com/blog/ar15-barrel-options-definitions/40/

Quote:
D. Barrel Twist Rate

The twist rate of the barrel is the rate of turn the bullet will experience in a given distance. For the purposes of this article only the 223 Remington / 5.56 NATO rounds will be discussed. The information provided will prove a point which can then be applied to any of the nearly countless AR15 chamberings.

First, the twist rate, or ratio, can be defined using “1:7” as an example. What this means is the bullet will experience one complete revolution within a 7” length. Whereas a 1:9 twist rate means the bullet will experience a complete revolution within 9” of length. Which is right? They are both right depending on the needs of the user, and the intended ammunition to be shot from the barrel.

The higher the twist rate, meaning the lower the number of inches taken to complete a revolution, means the more stable the bullet will be leaving the muzzle of the barrel. However it is possible to over stabilize a bullet. For example shooting a 40 or 50 grain varmint round from a 1:7 barrel may cause the bullet to turn at such high revolutions per minute (RPM) that the copper jacket can actually be removed from the lead core. This over stabilization can cause a major loss in accuracy and a loss in ballistic performance for hunting purposes. This is why it’s important to match the barrel to the ammunition, and visa versa.

When it comes down to it, any twist rate will shoot just about any bullet, but when discussing optimization the twist rate should be matched to the ammunition you intend to shoot. The general rule of thumb used is that a 1:7 will shoot bullets in the 70 grain range the best, but will also shoot 60 grain bullets just fine and even most 50 grain bullets without any problems. 1:9 shoots varmint bullets in the 40 and 50 grain range the best, but will also shoot heavier bullets, though at longer distances the heavier bullets will become unstable and cause a loss of accuracy. 1:8 seems to be the modern trade off and is a twist rate gaining popularity. The 1:8 seems to shoot everything well. So the barrel should be matched to the bullet, and if you are not sure; you usually can’t go wrong with a 1:8.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com