Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > got my first AR today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
To me it just makes more sense to go offset opposed to absolute. I can still adequately use both in a crisis scenario. I did a lot of research on the red dot. I did not want to spend $400-$500. For the money and what I know personally from Bushnell, I couldn't have picked a better choice. I will still ultimately trust the BUIS b/c the chances are lower of it ever losing zero compared to the red dot, but from my experience with it so far (which isn't a lot, about 100 rounds) I am trusting it more and more. I'm not one to trust solely on electronic devices to my or my families life, that's why I trained with using both the BUIS and red dot together in unison and had pretty good results (even though my field of view was skewered looking down the scope) the riser does detach quite easily and quickly but not compared to some for a lot more money. Some will probably argue with me about absolute vs offset but honestly I am completely new to this platform.
I'll spend the first few trips to the range working on the BUIS, just because, much like you, and as Tikki and others have said, getting highly proficient with them is crucial. Electronics are more prone to failure than non-mechanical systems, after all.
I'll probably order both risers, and see which I prefer. I'm also going to continue my search for a magnifier that leaves me money for ammunition.
You also addressed one of the reasons I am ordering both risers, because it may be that the front sight being visible is enough of a distraction that I need to line up off it, and make it part of the solution, rather than a distraction in a crisis situation.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #42

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

I'll spend the first few trips to the range working on the BUIS, just because, much like you, and as Tikki and others have said, getting highly proficient with them is crucial. Electronics are more prone to failure than non-mechanical systems, after all.
I'll probably order both risers, and see which I prefer. I'm also going to continue my search for a magnifier that leaves me money for ammunition.
You also addressed one of the reasons I am ordering both risers, because it may be that the front sight being visible is enough of a distraction that I need to line up off it, and make it part of the solution, rather than a distraction in a crisis situation.
Makes sense to me bud. Can't wait to see your finished build man

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #43

Hope to have all the parts in this week. Still waiting on shipping notice of the BCG from Bravo Company, but I think I'll be done by this weekend.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Hope to have all the parts in this week. Still waiting on shipping notice of the BCG from Bravo Company, but I think I'll be done by this weekend.
Sweet. I'm getting excited for you

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Sweet. I'm getting excited for you
I at least get the upper in tomorrow. So, at the least tomorrow I can give it a test fit on the lower, and then sit and drool, waiting on the remaining parts. Obviously, a pic of the lower will be posted tomorrow.
OH!! Want to see my new knife?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #46

Quote:

I at least get the upper in tomorrow. So, at the least tomorrow I can give it a test fit on the lower, and then sit and drool, waiting on the remaining parts. Obviously, a pic of the lower will be posted tomorrow.
OH!! Want to see my new knife?
Um.....yes!

~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Um.....yes!
Elkhorn, handmade. Beautiful piece of work.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #48

Quote:

Elkhorn, handmade. Beautiful piece of work.
I likey!!!!! You make that or have someone else?

~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #49

Quote:
I likey!!!!! You make that or have someone else?
Had it made by Randy. I actually ordered five knives from him, one for each of us. He does exceptionally good work.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #50

Quote:

Had it made by Randy. I actually ordered five knives from him, one for each of us. He does exceptionally good work.
That he does. That is gorgeous. Congrats on the piece sir!

~John F. Kennedy