Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > got my first AR today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
I think it's definitely worth trying out. $100 at midwayusa. It's no eotech or aimpoint, but several reviews I have read states that comparing it to their compact aimpoint, it's very comparable in fit, function, quality and durability.
Sweet. I'll order one this week some time and see how it goes. Should be range reporting myself within the next nine days. Maybe three or four, if all goes as I hope.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Sweet. I'll order one this week some time and see how it goes. Should be range reporting myself within the next nine days. Maybe three or four, if all goes as I hope.
Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product
Should be sometime this week, minus the sight.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #34

Congrats on the rifle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

Well if I'm in the woods (in Missouri) and i have to hunt or hide, fde doesn't do me much good opposed to the od green camouflaging naturally in that type of environment. So yea, it would matter to me
I didn't mean to get you upset. I live in FL and have a Gili rifle camo wrap around.
I've hunted for years and none of my rifles or shotguns are camo.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMjUnKiE

I didn't mean to get you upset. I live in FL and have a Gili rifle camo wrap around.
I've hunted for years and none of my rifles or shotguns are camo.
I'm not upset at all bro, just stating my opinion

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #37

Quote:
My AR-15. Got her set-up and took to the range. No pics because we were shooting steel and cans. I didn't even have to zero my Bushnell TRS-25 red dot in. It was right on the money. Very happy with the results. Whatcha guys think?
One last question, g, what riser are you using with that sight? Looks like you're set up for co-witnessing, and I need to address that before I order said sight.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #38

Quote:

One last question, g, what riser are you using with that sight? Looks like you're set up for co-witnessing, and I need to address that before I order said sight.
I am using a UTG high profile riser. 1" high. Item # 992371 $9.89 from midwayusa. I didn't go absolute co-witness, I went offset. I wanted my dot on my point of aim, not post. However, all I have to do is barely move down and can still use my BUIS and see through the lens just fine without any problems. If you want absolute co-witness, get the medium riser which is .83" tall. Item # 799963. The red dot item # is 593456. I usually get most of my stuff from midway b/c it's just a 15 min drive to go pick it up instead of having to pay shipping all the time. Hope this helps Ben

~John F. Kennedy

Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #39

Quote:
I am using a UTG high profile riser. 1" high. Item # 992371 $9.89 from midwayusa. I didn't go absolute co-witness, I went offset. I wanted my dot on my point of aim, not post. However, all I have to do is barely move down and can still use my BUIS and see through the lens just fine without any problems. If you want absolute co-witness, get the medium riser which is .83" tall. Item # 799963. The red dot item # is 593456. I usually get most of my stuff from midway b/c it's just a 15 min drive to go pick it up instead of having to pay shipping all the time. Hope this helps Ben
Definitely does help. Now I know exactly what to look for, and the issue that, by simply ordering both risers, I can determine which is more suitable for what I like. That was an issue I forgot to address, so I looked at your rifle again, and realized you'd already beat that dog, so I figured it made more sense to ask you what stick to use.
Thanks bud.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #40

Quote:

Definitely does help. Now I know exactly what to look for, and the issue that, by simply ordering both risers, I can determine which is more suitable for what I like. That was an issue I forgot to address, so I looked at your rifle again, and realized you'd already beat that dog, so I figured it made more sense to ask you what stick to use.
Thanks bud.
To me it just makes more sense to go offset opposed to absolute. I can still adequately use both in a crisis scenario. I did a lot of research on the red dot. I did not want to spend $400-$500. For the money and what I know personally from Bushnell, I couldn't have picked a better choice. I will still ultimately trust the BUIS b/c the chances are lower of it ever losing zero compared to the red dot, but from my experience with it so far (which isn't a lot, about 100 rounds) I am trusting it more and more. I'm not one to trust solely on electronic devices to my or my families life, that's why I trained with using both the BUIS and red dot together in unison and had pretty good results (even though my field of view was skewered looking down the scope) the riser does detach quite easily and quickly but not compared to some for a lot more money. Some will probably argue with me about absolute vs offset but honestly I am completely new to this platform.

~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 04-03-2012 at 03:37 AM.