Good source for tools?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good source for tools?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good source for tools?

Any, preferred, assembly tools source?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got mine from Joe Bob's Outfitters when I ordered my parts. The list of special tools beyond the normal hammer, needle-nosed pliers, painter's tape and punches to assemble a AR-15 is not big. You'll probably need a vice block to put into the lower's magwell so you can lock it into a vice. You'll need a stock wrench for the castle nut on the butt stock, then maybe a handguard removal tool and a barrel wrench if you are going to be building your own upper. If you are going with the fully assembled upper, you won't really need any tools for the upper.

Midway, Brownells and others have as many tools to sell you as you've got money to spend, but the truth is you don't need most of them. They have good products though.

Crazy as it might sound, Cheaper-Than-Dirt has some excellent videos on assembly of an AR. You should take the time to watch them. You'll learn alot about how to do it with the tools on-hand.

ETA: Joe Bob's has free shipping over $90 and gives a 5% Veterans discount on their already low prices, so I use them whenever I can. Their shipping time is remarkably fast.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 08-19-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #3

SNAKEDRIVER:
Thanks for reply.
I really appreciate input, at this stage of my ignorance, as you already know.

This historical bit may be of general interest:
I have an Honorable Discharge in 1962 when Kennedy was planning to invade Cuba.
Only served for 6 months in the Army, was discharged after completing basic training. Many stayed in Army.
I was interviewed and offered officer training ( I was fluent in English even at that young age) but I declined the offer. I had other anti -Castro ideas.
Hundreds of Cubans (maybe thousands), then exiled Parolees, volunteered for this in the U.S.A.
I don't think I qualify as a Veteran as I only have my discharge and graduation diploma and no other documentation. So no 5% discount.

tks

Last edited by rccalzadilla; 08-19-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
SNAKEDRIVER:
Thanks for reply.
I really appreciate input, at this stage of my ignorance, as you already know.

This historical bit may be of general interest:
I have an Honorable Discharge in 1962 when Kennedy was planning to invade Cuba.
Only served for 6 months in the Army, was discharged after completing basic training. Many stayed in Army.
I was interviewed and offered officer training ( I was fluent in English even at that young age) but I declined the offer. I had other anti -Castro ideas.
Hundreds of Cubans (maybe thousands), then exiled Parolees, volunteered for this in the U.S.A.
I don't think I qualify as a Veteran as I only have my discharge and graduation diploma and no other documentation. So no 5% discount.

tks
RC, I would disagree that you don't qualify for the Veteran's discount. You signed up for the Army, you went to basic training and graduated and then were ready to go to war and you got an Honorable Discharge. Sounds like you are fully qualified to me. A specific length of service or performance of combat duty isn't required to be called a Veteran in my opinion.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Did you get a DD214, rccalzadilla? That should do it.

As far as tools for building, don't go overboard. Most of my tools came from my garage (to build lower receivers, uppers would require more).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Brownells for single armorer tool purchases and Redhawk Police Tactical Products for the best complete AR-15/16 tool box and specialty tools. They have a barrel nut socket that is fantastic.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Did you get a DD214, rccalzadilla? That should do it.

As far as tools for building, don't go overboard. Most of my tools came from my garage (to build lower receivers, uppers would require more).
Hi Quentin:
What is a DD214?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Hi Quentin:
Yes I have my DD214.
Incredibly I just remembered where it was!

Last edited by rccalzadilla; 08-21-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Glad you found it after all these years! The DD214 is something you hang on to, of course the VA could get a copy for you...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Quentin:
My goodness! What memories this brings back.
You know, this is the best country in the world.
I have visited a quite a few; for all the good things I've seen abroad, coming back to the good old U.S.A. has always been relief.
Well, so much for nostalgia, let's get back to building an AR15 M4.