Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Good source for tools? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/good-source-tools-47070/)

rccalzadilla 08-19-2011 01:24 PM

Good source for tools?

Any, preferred, assembly tools source?

Snakedriver 08-19-2011 01:56 PM

I got mine from Joe Bob's Outfitters when I ordered my parts. The list of special tools beyond the normal hammer, needle-nosed pliers, painter's tape and punches to assemble a AR-15 is not big. You'll probably need a vice block to put into the lower's magwell so you can lock it into a vice. You'll need a stock wrench for the castle nut on the butt stock, then maybe a handguard removal tool and a barrel wrench if you are going to be building your own upper. If you are going with the fully assembled upper, you won't really need any tools for the upper.

Midway, Brownells and others have as many tools to sell you as you've got money to spend, but the truth is you don't need most of them. They have good products though.

Crazy as it might sound, Cheaper-Than-Dirt has some excellent videos on assembly of an AR. You should take the time to watch them. You'll learn alot about how to do it with the tools on-hand. :cool:

ETA: Joe Bob's has free shipping over $90 and gives a 5% Veterans discount on their already low prices, so I use them whenever I can. Their shipping time is remarkably fast.

rccalzadilla 08-19-2011 03:02 PM

SNAKEDRIVER:
Thanks for reply.
I really appreciate input, at this stage of my ignorance, as you already know.

This historical bit may be of general interest:
I have an Honorable Discharge in 1962 when Kennedy was planning to invade Cuba.
Only served for 6 months in the Army, was discharged after completing basic training. Many stayed in Army.
I was interviewed and offered officer training ( I was fluent in English even at that young age) but I declined the offer. I had other anti -Castro ideas.
Hundreds of Cubans (maybe thousands), then exiled Parolees, volunteered for this in the U.S.A.
I don't think I qualify as a Veteran as I only have my discharge and graduation diploma and no other documentation. So no 5% discount.

tks

Snakedriver 08-19-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccalzadilla (Post 566008)
SNAKEDRIVER:
Thanks for reply.
I really appreciate input, at this stage of my ignorance, as you already know.

This historical bit may be of general interest:
I have an Honorable Discharge in 1962 when Kennedy was planning to invade Cuba.
Only served for 6 months in the Army, was discharged after completing basic training. Many stayed in Army.
I was interviewed and offered officer training ( I was fluent in English even at that young age) but I declined the offer. I had other anti -Castro ideas.
Hundreds of Cubans (maybe thousands), then exiled Parolees, volunteered for this in the U.S.A.
I don't think I qualify as a Veteran as I only have my discharge and graduation diploma and no other documentation. So no 5% discount.

tks

RC, I would disagree that you don't qualify for the Veteran's discount. You signed up for the Army, you went to basic training and graduated and then were ready to go to war and you got an Honorable Discharge. Sounds like you are fully qualified to me. A specific length of service or performance of combat duty isn't required to be called a Veteran in my opinion.

Quentin 08-19-2011 08:58 PM

Did you get a DD214, rccalzadilla? That should do it.

As far as tools for building, don't go overboard. Most of my tools came from my garage (to build lower receivers, uppers would require more).

Sniper03 08-20-2011 06:52 PM

Brownells for single armorer tool purchases and Redhawk Police Tactical Products for the best complete AR-15/16 tool box and specialty tools. They have a barrel nut socket that is fantastic.

rccalzadilla 08-21-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 566219)
Did you get a DD214, rccalzadilla? That should do it.

As far as tools for building, don't go overboard. Most of my tools came from my garage (to build lower receivers, uppers would require more).

Hi Quentin:
What is a DD214?

rccalzadilla 08-21-2011 07:32 PM

Hi Quentin:
Yes I have my DD214.
Incredibly I just remembered where it was!

Quentin 08-21-2011 07:48 PM

Glad you found it after all these years! The DD214 is something you hang on to, of course the VA could get a copy for you...

rccalzadilla 08-21-2011 08:32 PM

Quentin:
My goodness! What memories this brings back.
You know, this is the best country in the world.
I have visited a quite a few; for all the good things I've seen abroad, coming back to the good old U.S.A. has always been relief.
Well, so much for nostalgia, let's get back to building an AR15 M4.