Good scopes and red dots? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good scopes and red dots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

thanks alot guys ill start checking these all out. i just need something that reaches out more i was shooting my dads savage bolt action .223 and we were tear up spoons @ 100yards and yes spoons that you eat with lol and to that to me was a good challenge and a blast. My red dot just dont reach out that far and its a p.o.s, it came with my ar so it was free basically

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 5183

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum05 View Post
thanks alot guys ill start checking these all out. i just need something that reaches out more i was shooting my dads savage bolt action .223 and we were tear up spoons @ 100yards and yes spoons that you eat with lol and to that to me was a good challenge and a blast. My red dot just dont reach out that far and its a p.o.s, it came with my ar so it was free basically
Try a quality red dot like an Aimpoint, and you might change your mind.

If you have a friend with an Aimpoint, ask to shoot his rifle.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

The 1X setting is for up close and personal. Easy to use with both eyes open. The 4X will get you out to 300 yards. A long time ago the standard scope was a 4X.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
You won't be able to see a spoon at 100 yards w/ a typical RDS's 4/2 MOA reticle.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 5183

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The 1X setting is for up close and personal. Easy to use with both eyes open. The 4X will get you out to 300 yards. A long time ago the standard scope was a 4X.
You should always keep both eyes open! Otherwise, you severely limit your field of veiw.

If you have trouble shooting with both eyes open, you might hjve a "cross dominance" problem.

Try shooting from the other shoulder.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #16

i always keep both open..my plan was to find a nice scope for long range and get a laser for close up.. i appreciate all your inputs helps alot

Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
i always keep both open..my plan was to find a nice scope for long range and get a laser for close up.. i appreciate all your inputs helps alot
Are you going to buy a shark for that laser?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #18

@ mjkeat..actually yeah a great white.. I found a aimpoint red dot comes w/a ex doubler for $429 but think I'm going to det the 3x mag for $129 that has a a slide to side mount

Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

There is little doubt about your question. You will not be able to get for example a model 512 EOTech and a Magnifier for $500.00. If you are going to be shooting at distance and for precision a Scope is the answer. But also remember the 5.56/223 round is by far not the best choice for shooting long distance. Yes they will shoot at 600 yards as they do at Camp Perry every year! But the main factor is the effect of the wind on the bullet. That comment comes from experience. I agree with one of the previous posts. Get a Rock River or similar scope mount for your AR that moves the scope forward allowing proper eye relieve! Otherwise you will have a problem with a good scope. Then look at a Nikon Scope. For the money they have good glass and are top quality for under your $500.00 budget.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #20

@Sniper..by a good mount you mean offset? And i did check out the Nikon m223 model as someone suggested and i may go with that but im just tryn to find something more compact "little shorter" Anybody hear of NcStar? They any good?