A Good Read
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A Good Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default A Good Read

This is a guy from my town. He's in a very good position to be in contact w/ a wide variety of AR manufacturers.

A tale of two broken ARs - M4Carbine.net Forums

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Good read ,

Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

That is a good read and goes to show how a poorly assembled AR can quickly become trouble. You'd expect it from a badly done "homebrew" but BM should know how to stake by now. Now I have a slightly different story, my buddy's BM castle nut and receiver extension were loctited in and we almost never broke it loose to put on a new RE and stock. What a pain that was!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
That is a good read and goes to show how a poorly assembled AR can quickly become trouble. You'd expect it from a badly done "homebrew" but BM should know how to stake by now. Now I have a slightly different story, my buddy's BM castle nut and receiver extension were loctited in and we almost never broke it loose to put on a new RE and stock. What a pain that was!
loctite is pretty strong stuff especially the red kind!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #5

Yeah it was red loctite and it was a Carbon 15 so we didn't think it was a good idea to apply heat!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #6

I noticed in the above linked thread its OP listed more issues with low end brands. I thought it would be interesting to drop in one quote.

Wonder who the guy with a pair of 14.5" middies is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas24
This DPMS that failed did so on the first range outing, and it's not the first that I've seen do this. I've watched Carbon-15s literally disassemble themselves after the first magazine. Two weeks ago a customer with a DPMS was shooting until his hammer pin SNAPPED IN HALF, and he had just bought it two weeks prior.

As busy as it was today it wasn't a total loss. One of the members on this board came in with a pair of 14.5" middies to shoot. One was a BCM, the other a DD. He said he had roughly 2,000 rds through each gun, and that was primarily Tula, with no cleaning. For every 10 crappy guns I see come through the live fire, there's always one that makes it worth it.
The snapped hammer pin really points out why it's so important to use quality parts. That single part deactivated the whole rifle - a part that probably didn't cost a nickel less than a milspec pin. And that's the whole point many of us make when recommending paying a little more for quality.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 12-29-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I noticed in the above linked thread its OP listed more issues with low end brands. I thought it would be interesting to drop in one quote.

Wonder who the guy with a pair of 14.5" middies is?

The snapped hammer pin really points out why it's so important to use quality parts. That single part deactivated the whole rifle - a part that probably didn't cost a nickel less than a milspec pin. And that's the whole point many of us make when recommending paying a little more for quality.
The same goes w/ staking and torquing properly. It's laziness that shouldn't be supported.

I would be like a bridge builder using the wrong grade concrete when the correct grade costs the same and is as readily available.

Added: I find it dissapointing that more people haven't read the linked thread. It's the old story of, those who should, don't and those that don't need to, do.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 12-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1253 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Indeed an interesting read. But I plan to keep my DPMS regardless.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Thank you for bringing up the loctite issue. Yes a lot of the major, good quality manufacturers are now using Blue Loctite (Thread Locker) on their Magazine Tubes and Castle Nuts. I have a rule that keeps me out of trouble and hopefully my students. That is if you do not see a Military Stake on the End Plate Adapter by the Castle Nut. Assume that it may have Thread Locker on it. All of the DEA contract rifles and Rock River Arms Rifles do have thread locker and some others. It is not a problem if you practice heating every Castle Nut that does not have a military stake. You must get them fairly hot and then break them loose with a car stock wrench.
Also never take for granted that a rifle that you think the manufacturer does not use any thread locker, that it does not have thread locker. It very well could have! Because many are now starting to use it and it is possible the stock could have came loose at one time or another and the armorer used some on it. I use a little Butane Torch made by Ronson which can be purchased at Lowes, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot and other places for under $30.00 to heat Castle Nuts. (Lock Rings) They come with several tips and a can of refill fuel.
Takes a regular Ronson Cigarette Lighter Refill Canister to refill them that you can buy at any store.
By the way if you do not heat the Castle Nuts to remove them and they have thread locker it will strip the threads off the Extension Tube when the tube turns.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #10

Thanks for pointing that out Sniper03! After experiencing it with my buddy's AR I sure wouldn't want it on any gun I bought. Really a shame they do it because proper staking wouldn't take more time or cost more money (except the worker may have to be slightly more skilled).

______