Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Good price on LPK's at Midway. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/good-price-lpks-midway-23827/)

russ 02-25-2010 05:02 AM

Good price on LPK's at Midway.

OK, legal disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Midway USA.

But, I just got their new flier in the mailbox today and they are advertising DPMS lower parts kits for $52.99, easily one of the best prices I've seen for a complete LPK.

Just a heads up in case anyone is looking.

Just a thought, maybe we should have a sticky for good priced AR related finds? No advertising allowed, of course.

Athlon Mark 02-26-2010 09:14 PM

Indeed a good price. That being said, I would pay $20 more for a Rock River Arms lower parts kit simply because of their roll pins. I almost feel guilty using them like I cheated, because they press in so easily.

slowryde45 02-26-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athlon Mark (Post 237316)
Indeed a good price. That being said, I would pay $20 more for a Rock River Arms lower parts kit simply because of their roll pins. I almost feel guilty using them like I cheated, because they press in so easily.

For the $20, put a drop of lube in the hole or on the pins first, and they slide in as easily as the RRA pins. ;)

hillbilly68 02-26-2010 10:26 PM

Slow is gonna scream, but I agree; Im more partial to the RRA parts. But hey if you are gonna do a yard sale, gun show frankengun on the cheap, that is a good price. ;)

OK OK I am just rubbing a few of my AR brothers fur the wrong way in jest. I have used a few of those kits before and they work fine in hobby guns. Especially at that price.

Athlon Mark 02-26-2010 10:33 PM

Yep. I do oil all the pins, and RRAs still go in 10x easier.

slowryde45 02-26-2010 11:54 PM

No problem...and to be honest, I've used kits from DPMS, Double Star, CMMG, Armalite, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, and even some so-called LMT kits. I've yet to really see any real significant differences between them, but I'm sure there will be some out there that SWEAR that they had issues, or know of at least a dozen or 13 friends who know of someone who once met a guy at the gun show who said those kits were crap :D

Personally, I have used RRA kits, and they are okay. Not sure if the price difference is worth it, but hey...to each his own. I do like the CMT (Stag) kits, don't have any particular reasons why. Maybe they just feel right? :p

p.s. - and no b.s. either :p , but out of at least 2 dozen DPMS kits I've built with over the years, I've yet to hear of any of them failing due to any kind of part failure from the LPK. And at least half a dozen of those have got over 6000 rounds through the piece. Just blind luck...I guess ;)

slowryde45 02-27-2010 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=WalterGA;237419]There's a reason DPMS is cheaper than most others...quality. QUOTE]

Scientific facts, backed up by logged evidence and statistics all prove this, too.

Along with lots of Kool-aid and cookies :p

russ 02-27-2010 03:53 AM

My first AR was built with a Model 1 LPK and I fought with a couple things, my second was built with a Brownells labeled kit purchased through Bill Springfield and it almost fell together. Whether that was the kit, or differences in the lowers, who knows. I know I wouldn't try to talk someone out of using either kit, as both ended up working fine.

Athlon Mark 02-27-2010 04:32 PM

I won't say there is a thing wrong with DPMS parts as far as reliability. In fact, I have a yellow bag of parts with a panther printed on it on top of my gun locker right now.

Just a personal preference...
Shootersjax Link to RRA LPK kit