Good Deals........ - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good Deals........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

what's my wife's lipstick doing next that puny 5.56 round?

Well, I'd hate to disagree with ya but, humping 8-10 miles in hilly terrain with a 7 # rifle is a lot nicer than doing it with a 10, also shooting free hand, dunno about you, but I can really really feel the difference. It's really easy to put weight on your AR, especailly when you add heavy barrel contours and glass.

You say you swing a 15# saw, but can you also say that if all else being equal (durability size cutting power etc) you wouldn't prefer if it weigh 10#?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #22

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
You say you swing a 15# saw, but can you also say that if all else being equal (durability size cutting power etc) you wouldn't prefer if it weigh 10#?
Years ago Makita came out with a very lightweight skillsaw. The problem with it was control - the motor torques the saw over and causes it to jump around. Some tools just need to have weight behind them. I'll give another example - sledgehammers - I've had to use em' on occasion for extended periods of time (a 10hr day of work busting concrete). Now, imagine how hard it would be to bust up all that concrete with a lighter lump hammer,or a framing hammer?

Granted, there is a noticable difference between a 6lb rifle and a 10lb rifle. But between a 7lb rifle and a 6lb rifle? C'mon, some calisthenics might do some folks some good

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #23

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I have an AR10 ..... a dreaded low tier piece of junk DPMS AR10 ..... and for me recoil on that platform is no big deal so going to the 6.8SPC didn't hold much appeal for me.

Off topic - sometimes I wonder about the folks that complain about recoil or saving a few ounces on there AR. I mean how heavy do some folks think 7lbs is? I carry a 20lb tool belt on my hips everyday, my skillsaw weighs about 15lbs and I use that almost all day long. Some of the timbers I have to put into place weigh 400, 500, 600lbs - yet they get moved into place. Seriously, a few ounces, maybe a pound in savings? Damn folks, do some more calisthenics

Back on topic - Now I am looking into a custom AR10 but not becasue my DPMS is not reliable or that it has disappointed me in any way. That rifle has flat out rocked since I first shot it. But after building my AR15 and then immediately doing a custom AR458 this accursed affliction has taken hold of me and is too strong to break free from. So now I must have a custom built AR10 to satisfy my cravings ... damn my skin itches

Back on topic, again - Since I had an AR15 and I have this crippling affliction for more AR's I just had to have another caliber. I mean, why stop with 2 when you can have 3 right? So what I looked for was a larger caliber than the 5.56 in the AR15 and I stumbled upon Teppo Jutsu - I was hooked like a heroin addict at a meth clinic! and the rest is history. I did the research, took my time and read the info, compared the stats and listened to first hand accounts from those that use the cartridge. Probably the biggest factor that played in was the non-proprietaryness (is that even a word? if not I call dibbs on it!) of the caliber, it's adaptablity to the AR15 platform/components and the fact that whatever it hits it kills on the spot

what's that saying again ... Go big or ...
Dog ,
You have to have a different bolt for the .458 also ? or can you still use the .5.56 bolt ? sure looks like the rim is bigger but pics are deceiving

Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #24

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Dog ,
You have to have a different bolt for the .458 also ? or can you still use the .5.56 bolt ? sure looks like the rim is bigger but pics are deceiving
same bolt but the face gets milled "open" to accommodate the cartridge rim. I'' get a comparison pic up tonight. Sorry for the delay - AR15 bolt face on the left, AR458 on the right.
20120419103257.jpg  

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 04-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #25

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Similar to what they do w/ the 7.62x39. The thin walls have been problamatic w/ the x39 causing broken bolts.