Good deal on the Spikes Tactical Lower?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good deal on the Spikes Tactical Lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good deal on the Spikes Tactical Lower?

ST-15 stripped rifle lower Semi/Safe [STLS013] - $99.00 : Spikes Tactical

$99 for a stripped Lower that was $180 looks good to me but then again I know very little about brands. Figure my lower is one of the few parts I can skimp on but I don't want to go too low.

Edit: Also, what does "Low Shelf for use with RDIAS" mean? I tried Google searching RDIAS but I got some obscure results.

Last edited by JR36; 10-28-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

The low shelf gives plenty of room for a drop in auto sear. Of course if you did that you're asking for an extended tour in the federal pen.

Some lowers allow room for the RDIAS and others don't. For 99.99% of us it doesn't matter but still, why not get it. Spikes is a good choice in a lower too.

ETA: I would look at other stripped lowers also. To me it's important what rollmark/logo goes on my ARs. If you have a favorite that only costs $20 more you'll be glad you paid the difference especially since that may add value and a pride factor to your entire rifle. My first AR build I loved the S&W logo and paid $10 more for it. And my second I paid about $20 more for ArmaLite. I still love them both but have to say the S&W M&P-15 lower is a work of art.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-28-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

Appreciate the answer Quentin. I'm not much of a fan of the logo or all the text on the lower, hell I'd like to find one that has nothing on it but at the price I couldn't pass it up. Plus $5 more and I get an Eagle,Globe and Anchor engraved on the right side (kind of sealed the deal for me )

Thanks for the clarification on the RDIAS.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

I know Spikes offers lowers marked with and without their spider logo so you might check if they'll sell you the non-spidey.

Hey, nice that they'll add the Marine Corps emblem! Didn't know that.

ETA:
BTW, Spikes LE uppers are excellent and you can find their carbine or midlength for under $500 complete with BCG, CH, handguards and heavy carbine buffer. Often you see them for about $475 and of course it would perfectly match your lower.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-28-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #5

Argh, didn't notice one without the spider on it.

They have a few designs that they'll add for $5. I was torn between the American flag and the EGA. Had the flag been backwards it might have been a harder choice.

I'm trying to build this from the ground up but some of the prices make it hard to stick to my guns on that. It's going to be a long-term project buying parts here and there as the funds allow.

Just sent in my order a bit ago after contacting a FFL. My first part for my first build should be en route soon enough. I'm afraid of whats going to happen when I spend a week looking at a empty lower! Figure lower parts kit will quickly be in the cards.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks like Quetin has you taken care of here.

Post pictures and a write up on your build progress if you would please.

Good luck and looking forward to what you end up building.

JD

Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #7

Count on it!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #8

Spikes has one without the spidey logo but it is billet and has a BIOHAZARD logo on it if I am not mistaken. I think they have a JOLLY ROGER one too inplace of the spider but it is considerably more expensive. MY FIRST and ONLY lower that I have built is with a spikes lower. If I had it to do over again I would have got the colorfill on the spider.....the colorfill on the safety markings looks pretty good. I got mine for 89$ from Brownells and didn't have the option of colorfill on the spider. Spikes sells some ejector doors that are customized as well.

Overall, it looks good but I am a novice in this dept. The blueing is excellent and everything in the parts kit went together relatively well. I had a few mishaps but they were my fault. I posted a pic of it in my post "AR lower build...important notes to stupid" I will go with another one for any future builds.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #9

Saw the Jolly Roger and giggled (not that I giggle!) myself into calling a few buddies about it (who also giggled).

I thought a bit on the color fill but it looked a little too sharp for my taste and having trained and carried a m16a2-4 I didn't really didn't care for it. I personally prefer the clean look.

Thanks for some first hand knowledge on building off this lower 556, and I'll be sure to check out your post.

I'm still torn on building a m16a4 clone or going for a 16inch barrel. Practicality dictates I just go for 16 inch but...being able to toss my issue bayonet on the rifle is hard to resist! I'll choose parts in order of putting off the choice till the last minute I'm sure. Just something about that A2 buttstock.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #10

You can fix a bayonet on a 16" carbine with the midlength gas system (but not carbine system), and of course on a 14.5" carbine gas system. I'd look real hard at a 16" middy, they're hard to beat these days. Spikes, BCM and Daniel Defense make top notch versions and the latter two have lightweight models.

Of course there are other midlengths, RRA, ArmaLite, CMMG come to mind. I have an ArmaLite and though it's not Tier 1 it's probably the best with the 1:9" twist which is what I wanted.