Good cheap Ar .223 ammo? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good cheap Ar .223 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
Like what paladin said, bullet stick in barrel... And others like fte... I'm not saying u any shoot steel ammo... Just don't be surprised if something happens since u are putting low grade and quality rounds through it...

Steel expands less but also contracts slower that brass does too. This is why the steel needs to be lacquered in order to come out and brass doesn't... It's just not worth the headache for me to risk it.
Once again, what will break?

I've loaded a mixture of brass and steel in the same magazine in multiple magazines and put rounds on target in quick succession w/o failure.

What headache? Where are you getting your information?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #22

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

Someone should do a survey off people's experiences w/ steel ammo then record what manufacturer their AR was.
Start the pole , I would like to know the same my self

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Start the pole , I would like to know the same my self
The thing is most will not answer honestly and I don't think there is a big enough sample base to do it on just one forum. Plus you'd have to take age, experience, knowledge, and shooting habit/style into consideration. And don't forget to figure in if the individual had messed around w/ their AR and screwed it up. To many variables for a poll in my opinion.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

"What's happening here is that the steel Wolf cases aren't expanding enough to form a good seal when fired, so some of the (dirty, carbon-filled) gasses are getting between the case and the chamber, causing a build up of carbon in the chamber that is far in excess of normal. Then, firing a brass case that DOES expand fully will result in that case being "glued" into the chamber by the carbon buildup."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

It's dirty dirty ammo and that's what can cause ur gun to break...

Now ik this might be hard for you to understand since I said it 3 times already...

You CAN shoot what ever u f***ing want to through your gun! I'm just saying that u have a **** ton less probability of something going wrong with brass over steel...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
"What's happening here is that the steel Wolf cases aren't expanding enough to form a good seal when fired, so some of the (dirty, carbon-filled) gasses are getting between the case and the chamber, causing a build up of carbon in the chamber that is far in excess of normal. Then, firing a brass case that DOES expand fully will result in that case being "glued" into the chamber by the carbon buildup."

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

It's dirty dirty ammo and that's what can cause ur gun to break...

Now ik this might be hard for you to understand since I said it 3 times already...

You CAN shoot what ever u f***ing want to through your gun! I'm just saying that u have a **** ton less probability of something going wrong with brass over steel...
Wow! That's classy, bud.....

Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #26

And u mean by that? We are all adults here.. U can't take a bad word or 2

Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #27

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think we can all take some language, and we've probably all dished some out. But, it's against forum rules, mostly just to avoid this kind of nastiness I believe, since the language is automatically censured out.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
And u mean by that? We are all adults here.. U can't take a bad word or 2
I'm not talking about the language, I'm talking about a guy asked you a direct question, which you have yet to answer.

People ask questions for a reason, and it is not so they will be belittled. You claim the ammo will cause the gun to "break". WHAT will break? I am considering this type of ammo, and if you have a specific example of it causing damage to an in-spec firearm, I'd like to know.

That's all I'm saying.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #29

U don't need an example to say something could break. I never said it will break or not I just said it might cause more damage than of u used brass rounds... But Extractors can snap from the force of being blown back with the case still in the chamber... If I was to say "ar15 break all the time from using steel cases" then that would require proof... Never said that tho..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #30

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I'm not talking about the language, I'm talking about a guy asked you a direct question, which you have yet to answer.

People ask questions for a reason, and it is not so they will be belittled. You claim the ammo will cause the gun to "break". WHAT will break? I am considering this type of ammo, and if you have a specific example of it causing damage to an in-spec firearm, I'd like to know.

That's all I'm saying.
Steel cases are claimed to put more wear and tear on extractors. I'm in keats camp, a good quality AR properly maintained should have no problem.