Good cheap Ar .223 ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good cheap Ar .223 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Dont take this wrong . Im not trying to start any crap but Im calling BS, "they" the range doenst want the steel cases as its worth nothing to them , I have shot well over 1000 rds of tula . .223 55gr FMJs since Christmas thru my AR and have had zero problems and all of this ammo is marked 10/11 on the inside of the box so its fairly new ammo. If your gun is having issues with running this ammo its not the ammos fault you have a gun issue!!! PERIOD!!! , wether its FTF or eject. Improper lubrication is a very common problem and that is not a gun issue or ammo issue that is a operator error , I have had zero misfires on any of this ammo , I keep my bolt probably to wet but I just dont want to have my own horror story about FTF problems . Just saying and it seems to shoot more accurately in my gun than the Remington UMC's
I would like to find some 62 gr HPs but everyone seems to be out , well the ones with the cheap prices anyway .
I took my son age 13 to shoot my AR this weekend and he wanted to know what that bullet would go thru I told him 3 maybe 4 treated 4X4s together , Hell I didnt thave a clue, it went thru 6 of them stacked together at 50 yards with Tula FMJs , so I cant say the ammo is weaker than anything else and I didnt take my Chronograph with me it was 15 degees and it doesnt do well below freezing , " too many mis reads "
For one thing, I know the owners of the range (unlike you), and they are honest people.

For another, if your theory was right, they would post warnings on all steel cased ammo, but they don't....just Tula specifically.

And finally, I know at least one of the people personally who's had trouble with Tula ammo.

But all I did was share what I know based on my own experience. Do as you please.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My DPMS A2 Carbine wouldn't run tula for ****!

FTE's and stuck cases galore. I refused to even try in my WOA SPR chamber. But my buddy has the same bbl and it stuck one so bad, I had to beat it out with steel gi cleaning rods.

Never had a problem with LC, WCC, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Wolf, or Federal. Something about Tula....

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

check out the PMC brand ammo, 55gr fmj runs me about $7-9 a box of 20. runs pretty clean, i have used it and had no issues at all. i buy it at my LGS and if i buy at least 10 boxes, he gives me case price per box.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I second PMC... I like the xtac line of 62 gr steel core... Get them for 6.19 a box and 55gr for 5.99 box at Palmettostatearmory.com

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
For one thing, I know the owners of the range (unlike you), and they are honest people.

For another, if your theory was right, they would post warnings on all steel cased ammo, but they don't....just Tula specifically.

And finally, I know at least one of the people personally who's had trouble with Tula ammo.

But all I did was share what I know based on my own experience. Do as you please.
I guess I should have stated it a little differently , and u are right not every gun will run every ammo properly . My comments above were a little beer induced last night . So take my comment with a grain of salt
Are the tula that were being used laquer dipped ? I know the stuff I'm using has no thick laquer coating on it like the brown bear and a few others out there. Maybe that's a problem maybe not ?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The issues that I've seen weren't stuck casings. They were squib loads. Under powered shots that left the bullet lodged in the barrel.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #17

I never have and never will shoot steel cased Ammo on my ar... To me it's like buying that nice sports car and reading the manual and it says 93 octane only!!! But u go ahead and put 87 in just to save money and next thing you know... It breaks! Also I don't reload now but I probably will so I'd rather shoot brass and save it all for that day that I need it..

Old 01-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I guess I'm the exception to the rule. My rifles run Tula like a champ. I have no reason to spend $6 on a box of ammo when I can buy it for under $4. I am a firm believer that if your AR won't run Russian steel cased ammo it isn't worth having because it's usually an indication of the quality of the rifle (quality not price). Some manufacturers are well known for having f'd up chambers.

Someone should do a survey off people's experiences w/ steel ammo then record what manufacturer their AR was.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
I never have and never will shoot steel cased Ammo on my ar... To me it's like buying that nice sports car and reading the manual and it says 93 octane only!!! But u go ahead and put 87 in just to save money and next thing you know... It breaks! Also I don't reload now but I probably will so I'd rather shoot brass and save it all for that day that I need it..
So untrue. I am but one example of that not being true.

What is going to break?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #20

Like what paladin said, bullet stick in barrel... And others like fte... I'm not saying u any shoot steel ammo... Just don't be surprised if something happens since u are putting low grade and quality rounds through it...

Steel expands less but also contracts slower that brass does too. This is why the steel needs to be lacquered in order to come out and brass doesn't... It's just not worth the headache for me to risk it.