Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Good cheap Ar .223 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Good cheap Ar .223 ammo?

Ive been using American Eagle that I found for about .31 cents/round but its real dirty. I was hoping I could get some advise or opinions on some other ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Good cheap .223? Wolf, Tula, Herter's and other steel case, about 25 cents a round. Try a little first (don't buy 1K) as some ARs gag on it but it should work.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Without starting the steel case debate again, I'd at the very least avoid Tula. The local range has warning signs up. They've been seeing an increasing number of squib loads from Tula ammo lately. Their quality control appears to be spotty at best.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #4

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wolf 62 gr. 0.19/rd

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
Wolf 62 gr. 0.19/rd
Do you have a link for this ?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Without starting the steel case debate again, I'd at the very least avoid Tula. The local range has warning signs up. They've been seeing an increasing number of squib loads from Tula ammo lately. Their quality control appears to be spotty at best.
Dont take this wrong . Im not trying to start any crap but Im calling BS, "they" the range doenst want the steel cases as its worth nothing to them , I have shot well over 1000 rds of tula . .223 55gr FMJs since Christmas thru my AR and have had zero problems and all of this ammo is marked 10/11 on the inside of the box so its fairly new ammo. If your gun is having issues with running this ammo its not the ammos fault you have a gun issue!!! PERIOD!!! , wether its FTF or eject. Improper lubrication is a very common problem and that is not a gun issue or ammo issue that is a operator error , I have had zero misfires on any of this ammo , I keep my bolt probably to wet but I just dont want to have my own horror story about FTF problems . Just saying and it seems to shoot more accurately in my gun than the Remington UMC's
I would like to find some 62 gr HPs but everyone seems to be out , well the ones with the cheap prices anyway .
I took my son age 13 to shoot my AR this weekend and he wanted to know what that bullet would go thru I told him 3 maybe 4 treated 4X4s together , Hell I didnt thave a clue, it went thru 6 of them stacked together at 50 yards with Tula FMJs , so I cant say the ammo is weaker than anything else and I didnt take my Chronograph with me it was 15 degees and it doesnt do well below freezing , " too many mis reads "

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-17-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Wolf and Tula have worked great for me.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #8

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
Do you have a link for this ?
Aimsurplus.com

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Aimsurplus.com
Sold out again
However they still have 55gr FMJs in stock

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They have 55grain.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."