good bullet/bad bullet

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > good bullet/bad bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default good bullet/bad bullet

I went to the 100 yard range today and tried my 60grain Varminter sierra HP's. I took a wild guess and went with 23.3 grains of ramshot tac and hit the jackpot without having to work it up! Pretty much 1"-2" groups out of my 1-7 16" bargain bin cmmg(trigger is average and I had no rest other than my range bag). I think if I had a caldwell lead sled they would have been much less but for me, an average shooter, this is good and I know a lot of you can do much better. The reason I'm bringing this up is because it is a relatively cheap bullet that peforms good, at least in my gun and if you are stockpiling and hoarding ammo this would be worth a look @ 14.50 for 100 at graf's and son's.

Bad bullet.....My son had a failure to feed on a fmj winchester. I jacked the fresh bullet out and it was covered by half of the previously fired case. I looked around and found the other half of the case which ejected. When I put it back together it was noticeably shorter (1/4 ") than a regular case. My questin is where in the he!! is the rest of the case?....Did it incinerate or what? The rifle functioned normally thereafter. I asked him if it sounded or felt hot and he said no it was normal sounding and didn't have any more kick than the others.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default sorry

After I pulled the bullet off of the case it was the appropriate length....I guess this is a good example of case separation

football-railfaning-random-thangs-041.jpg