Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   good AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/good-ar-25220/)

chevyforlife1972nova 03-26-2010 11:46 PM

good AR

looking for a good AR that wont break the bank ?

slowryde45 03-27-2010 12:06 AM

chevy,

are you looking to buy or sell? it's kind of hard to tell by your post.

if you are looking to buy, give us a little more info on what you think you are looking for, as far as features, brands, price range, etc.

if you are looking to sell, there is a classified section on the forum, too.

Slo

chevyforlife1972nova 03-27-2010 12:11 AM

im sorry

looking to buy one m4 model
brands i don't really know who makes a good one so i am asking
and $600 to $800

canebrake 03-27-2010 12:19 AM

458 SOCOM

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v.../556_458_2.png

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...et_options.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...0gun/PIG-1.jpg

^ Magnum P*I*G

Just a tad North of $800.

chevyforlife1972nova 03-27-2010 12:23 AM

socom that looks like a expensive round? i tried to look it up and all I could find was materials to make the ammo?

slowryde45 03-27-2010 12:27 AM

read through some of the previoius posts on here. Specially one by V3, as several of the members posted suggesting different options in that same price range.

do you think you might want to save some money by BUILDING (assembling) your own lower receiver - which not only saves you money up front, but will serve to teach you quite a bit about the AR, what makes it work, and how to fix anything should something go wrong with it? if so, that would be a good post to read, as well as the postings up above where this one is, dealing with how to assemble, budget buys, etc.

you've come to a very good forum, as far as members being willing to help you figure out what to get, or how to do it. check out those posts, and it may answer more of your questions. as for brands, if you are looking to buy a completely assembled piece, or perhaps an assembled lower and assembled upper separately, as long as you stay with reputable brands you should be fine. the worst thing you can do is fall into the trap that has been set by some forums out there, a 'chart' of various M4's has been created, in which the author has listed several different features of M4's and which brands have or do not have those features.

I say a 'trap', because it could lead someone new to the game to believe that he/she MUST have all of the listed features to have a functional and true M4. Not the case at all. What they listed basically are the features that the military wanted on their full-auto M4's to be used in battle. so unless you are a mil/leo type who is looking for an M4 to use in the Sandbox or in the line of duty, most of that chart would really do you no real good, other than to be able to tell your buddies about what a swell M4 you have, as you all storm the mall in your tactical mall ninja apparel. keep in mind, by having all of those features, you have also increased the price of your M4 look-a-like.

on the other hand, if you are looking to buy/build a reliable AR, whether it be an M4 look-a-like, carbine, rifle, target (heavy) barrel, suppressed, whatever flavor you think you want, then you've come to a darn good forum, where we have several members who have already built their own, have a lot of knowledge in the areas, and can help you out with any issues or questions.

so feel free to browse through the postings, you'll find quite a few suggestions, pics, prices that will give you more of an idea of what is out there and what you might be able to find or put together.

Slo

nfafan 04-03-2010 05:51 AM

If you decide that a factory built gun is for you, then JMHO,

Approach this like buying a vehicle. Go to some well-stocked funstores or a funshow and examine every brand of AR you can lay your hands on.
Pay attention to fit, finish, how well the gas-key was staked on, stainless vs chrome-lined bbl, rifle or telestock carbine, any corners cut to keep the price down or the cost-no-object, etc., et al.

Then examine your wallet.

Decide if the high-dollar ARs with their added-expense MIL-SPEC "features" are worth it for YOU to pay for, especially if you intend to brutalize paper targets - versus ridge-running in Afghapakistan.

I have a high-end Chart-dwelling name-brand AR and a low-end name-brand; the big-bux-blaster sits in the safe so as not to get scuffy, while the cheapie has all the fun at the range punching paper.

Once you settle on a couple brands/models, back to Consumerism 101...

Google for the ones you found and READ all that you can about your possible choices. If you simply blurt out "What's up with Brand X?" - you'll get nothing but opinions just as you would is asking about cars, tires, furnaces.

And just like cars, tires, HVAC: no one is going to send you money so as to buy their suggestion. Your wallet.

ALL AR brands are suitable for punching paper and ALL AR brands have had their share of issues. Which is why I suggest the brand-specific reading homework on your own.

ARP 04-05-2010 06:45 AM

Agree with the guy above, you don't need all of the stuff on the "chart" unless possibly you are LE or shoot carbine courses or train with thousands of rounds a month. Look around for the best prices but also do enough research to know what a cheap product is and what a good inexpensive product is. Just because they are well known companies that advertise in shotgun news does not mean they sell quality pieces, some pieces are stamped and heat treated poorly. Big mail order companies also do not always have the best prices.

hillmillenia 04-05-2010 08:07 PM

You can build an ultra-reliable carbine for 8-850 not including mags and ammo.

BCM M4 upper 425
BCM Bolt carrier group 140
charging handle 23
M4 handguards 20
Spikes lower (AIM) 90 del'd
FFL transfer 15
BCM M4 buttstock 70
Stag lower parts kit 65
______

You can go cheaper (Del-Ton) but I'll bet everyone here would agree this is the fixins' for a top-notch M4 type carbine. Good luck and enjoy. Oh and this would be considered a "top tiered" type build...though I don't really buy into that nonsense.

Hill

Shihan 04-06-2010 12:24 AM

If you are looking for a complete rifle Del-Ton is a very nice Rifle for the price. I picked mine up for $700. Though, my next one, I am going to build because everyone says that's the way to go. Good Luck in which ever way you decide. I am sure you will enjoy either way.