Going out on a limb about my AR - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Going out on a limb about my AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoi View Post
After many hours of research I am going along the same lines as well. I would not replace just the upper tho but build a whole new AR, perhaps in 7.6251. Perhaps not it depends on What I find when I have a few extra dollars to spare.

I am disabled and unable to work so I only get paid once a month when the bills are paid there is Precious little left. Each buy must count so it may take a year or two to make a AR.
Keep in mind alot of the 7.62x51 stuff is proprietary to each manufacturer, the top rail height of the Armalite and the DPMS is not the same so if you go with a free float hand guard it may not match up with the top rail of the upper receiver perfectly . Along with this DPMS has 3 different upper rail heights, gen 1 lo profile , gen 2 hi profile and Oracle which is a really tall upper rail height , Barrel nuts are not all the same thread size , DPMS will not fit Armalite , etc . There are different BCGs that aren't all compatible. I wont tell people to not build their own because its their choice and you get what you want that way , however with the higher price of the .308 parts one mistake ordering the wrong parts can be very expensive and hurt when your on a budget or limited on funds to do it right the first time. If your truly going this route do your research and ask alot of questions when figuring out what you want . Mil spec Trigger groups are mostly the same between .308 and AR15 however there are some of the drop ins that dont fit between the 2 and they may have a special drop in for the .308 . If you have any questions I will help you as much as I can . I have only worked with the AR10 and the DPMS so im not real informational on the rest of the .308 ARs out there . I have not found a F/F rail out there that will match up to the DPMS oracle rail height so keep that in mind
You may also find that buying a complete and adding the parts you want may be cheaper than building the whole thing . Thats the route I went and added what I wanted . I sold off the original parts which paid for almost all of my upgrades .
PH

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-09-2014 at 03:28 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Well said, PH. People get into trouble fast in the "AR-10" ballpark, it's really the big league compared to the T-ball world of interchangeable AR-15 parts! Heck, even ArmaLite has two incompatible receiver/magazine lines. And they're the only company that can legally use the term AR-10!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #33

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well said, PH. People get into trouble fast in the "AR-10" ballpark, it's really the big league compared to the T-ball world of interchangeable AR-15 parts! Heck, even ArmaLite has two incompatible receiver/magazine lines. And they're the only company that can legally use the term AR-10!
Very true and it seems like they all take different magazines , I know right off the top of my head there are 4 different mags for the .308 AR configuration . Some cheap some very expensive

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #34

Liked 290 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoi View Post
After many hours of research I am going along the same lines as well. I would not replace just the upper tho but build a whole new AR, perhaps in 7.6251. Perhaps not it depends on What I find when I have a few extra dollars to spare.

I am disabled and unable to work so I only get paid once a month when the bills are paid there is Precious little left. Each buy must count so it may take a year or two to make a AR.
I know the issues behind living on a limited income. If you are building a .308, I suggest you do the research and make sure the parts are interchangeable. There are 2 large companies that make .308 AR type rifles: Armalite and DPMS. There are a few other formatted .308 AR's, but I just mentioned the top 2 for the discussion. There are more companies that make DPMS compatible parts than any other, and since DPMS doesn't make as many .308's as 5.56's, the quality control is better than their .223's. What I am trying to say is if you don't want to limit yourself to one mfr, you might want to go with DPMS formatted rifle. Not a big proponent of DPMS; I had considered doing a build, and I am passing along my research results to you. Take care.
People Like This 
Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

hmm some food for thought. I would love a weapon to use so I could retire my nagant but to outfit it the way I want it would cost a fortune and have limited choices. So I guess I will just build me another AR something I know a little better. Little FYI there is now 2 choices for stocks for the nagant a timney trigger and lots of choices for bolt mods, and scope mounts. With the right scope, tack drivers from the land of far far away. I chose the arch angel stock timney trigger forget the name of the bolt but it was cheap on ebay from a guy who makes his living doing it. I bought a russian style scope mount but gander mountain put one on they chose with out my permission I refused to pay for it so I got a great mount free. Its a fantastic rifle now.