Going out on a limb about my AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Going out on a limb about my AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Going out on a limb about my AR

First I would like to make this abundantly clear. I will not tolerate any bad mouthing of my AR. Please save it for another treated. This is a question and answer thread plan and simple. My AR has been Very good to me. and I have put thousands of rounds thru it with out a hiccup. I have a Bushmaster C15, Now that you know what I have on to the question. It has a 16in Barrel on it, I am aware a normal AR barrel will not fit. I am mainly a long rang shooter, Therefor I want a longer barrel. Does any body know who if any body other then bushmaster makes a longer barrel? The longest BM makes is 20in. I would like to go a smig longer then that. certainly with the number of these now in private hands some one has to step up to the plate. By the way the Timmney trigger works wonders And before anybody wonders mine is the latest generation all the past problems have been fixed the thing is a tack driver and I adore it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

If its a tack driver....why mess with it?

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

How far do you consider long distance ? Im was not aware that any other barrel wont fit the C15 upper . You looking for a 22-24" barrel ? Any particular material like Stainless ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

PSA has a 20 inch rifle upper on sale.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't know if they have anything longer than 20", but check with Green Mountain, White Oak, Rock, E R Shaw and see if they have something you like.

Any "American" AR15 barrel will work on the Bushy C15. Unsure about the Mossberg MMR series Sports Rifles as I've not handled one to see if their barrel is a true AR barrel.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

A longer heavier barrel on Carbon-15 receivers probably isn't a good idea. Call BM and see what they think.

I'd leave the C-15 as the lightweight it was intended to be and start looking at a second AR with 7075-T6 receivers, you know you want it!

Was that badmouthing?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Just my opinion,but don't most people buy a Carbon AR for the weight savings? Why would you want to make a Carbon gun heavier?
Being a 223/5.56, shooting 600 yards is about as far as most good shooters will shoot the caliber,and a 16 inch barrel will do that just fine,but a few FPS slower.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 06-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #8

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I only ask because some people call 300 yards long distance and other peoples long distance is 800 yards .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21546 Times on 12237 Posts
Likes Given: 53660

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I only ask because some people call 300 yards long distance and other peoples long distance is 800 yards .
i also don't think most would think of lightweight AR's as precision long range rifles either.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-03-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
People Like This 
Old 06-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #10

Liked 2132 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 466

The only caution I have would be regarding a heavy profile/long barrel and the carbon upper at the barrel nut joint causing some extra leverage stress at a thin spot of the receiver. Most polymer ARs that I see are configured as carbines.

This is not intended as a criticism, but an observation. Most AR buyers choose polymer for a couple if reasons. One is cost and the other is weight. If choosing for weight, a carbine seems the logical choice. If choosing for cost, long range precision accuracy is usually not the primary requirement. Also balance/handling will be very front heavy with a heavy barreled/polymer receiver combination. This may not be an issue if bench shooting will be the primary role. If doing any off hand shooting, it may be an issue. For three position high powered rifle matches, balance can become a big issue as using muscle to overcome imbalance may cause additional muscle fatigue and tremors that can affect accuracy and scores negatively.

Not saying it can't be done, but just that from a viewpoint if form following function, it seems kind of counterintuitive to build a "heavy polymer" platform.

If you do assemble this project, I do hope you will share your results. It would be interesting to see how it works out.