Going back from AFG to VFG

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Going back from AFG to VFG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

Default Going back from AFG to VFG

I have been mounting AFGs on my favorite rifles for some time now.

In the case of the SIG I was relying on only the AVG because both the AFG and the VFG wouldn't fit on its shorter rail.
It looked very harmonious and minimalist and that appealed to me. (see pic)

Also when bench shooting I found myself using the AFG exlusively even in thos erifles where I had both a AFG and VFG.

But this week i have been practicing reaction drills more serious than before.
Again and again.
I was doing it with a rifle that was equipped with both AFG and VFG as some of my AR's are.

And I noticed that when doing reaction drills / updrills the AFG was not useful at all, and I relied 100% on the VFG.

Since those .drills cover some of the most critical shooting situations certainly more critical than benchshooting I made me change my SIG 516

You see my SIG 516 had a rail that was too short to mount both a AFG and a VFG, like I do on me LWRCs.

So I decided to take off the AFG and replace it with a Blackhawk VFG, I find as a result the SIG looks less harmonious , especially since I left the VFG at full length of the "stub" (I like the option of using a VFG as a monopod in the prone thats why i left tit longer tho I dont much like the looks of it. but functions over style..)

The following pics are for comparison and show LWRC with both AFG and VFG the SIG in its previous configuration and the Sig 516 in its new configuration:

I may still shorten the VFG in the last pic but that is how its currently configured. Doesnt look as good as before with just the AFG, but I think its more functional for reactive fire in CQB type situations.
it's position BTW is partially dictated by the ability to actuate the WML strobe with my thumb

100_1608.jpg   100_1636.jpg  

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 10-06-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here