Give me a hand here guys - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Give me a hand here guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

I wosh I could buy that spikes flash comp. Its illegal to buy anything that says it hides flash or suppresses flash in illinois.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Firearms Talk mobile app

spit hell fire

Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #22

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
Thanks guys. I cant wait.

one more question. Im going to do this myself. I dont want to buy all these high priced tools neither. What will I NEED to install this. I have a oem AR with a front sight block. I bought a lpw pro gas block from M.I. so I will need to dimple my barrel to install properly I know. Is it easy to do without the jig. I have a vice and a drill press so im good on that part. Im just scared of not lining it up correctly. Will I be able to get the barrel nut and a2 flash suppressor off without a clamp or will I need the barrel clamp or vice block? I want to do this without spending a crapload on tools im only going to use a few times. And shops around me charge 100+ dollars just to install the free float rail. Let alone extra to intall a gas block. I hate my state.

There are two options, an upper receiver clamshell or a upper receiver block, some people use both. I've managed to build 20 rifles with just the DPMS Upper receiver block. $35-50 bucks on line. I think you will definitely need it unless you get creative and have a spare set of hands. Be careful when tapping out pins on front sight base, they are tapered to one directions, the ones I've punched out have been punched from the right side to the left side looking at the muzzle from the front. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390114714.977898.jpg

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #23

That peice seems lile it would bend the upper receiver. u never had any problems with it.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in a 4×4 and cutting it in half and clamping the barrel in a vice with it. Just to get the muzzle off and barrel nut. Think that would work?

spit hell fire

Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #24

I have an AR multi wrench already.

spit hell fire

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #25

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
That peice seems lile it would bend the upper receiver. u never had any problems with it.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in a 4×4 and cutting it in half and clamping the barrel in a vice with it. Just to get the muzzle off and barrel nut. Think that would work?

A guy on another forum I'm on broke his upper using one of them, but I've never heard of any other problems.

I use this one.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-action-block-prod22385.aspx

Then there's this, never used it but I've heard it's the best there is.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-reaction-rod-prod55168.aspx

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #26

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Yeah. I wouldnt fabricate a clamshell block for the upper receiver. Just buy one. I think psa has them for 10-15 bucks. Works great. Remember to leave your bcg in when you tighten, to give it that extra strength against crushing it. Also, what are you talking about a jig and dimples for? Just hammer the pins out of the fsb, put new low profile on and tighten if it has set screws. If not pin it back in with the existing pins. What are you drilling?

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamp2003
Yeah. I wouldnt fabricate a clamshell block for the upper receiver. Just buy one. I think psa has them for 10-15 bucks. Works great. Remember to leave your bcg in when you tighten, to give it that extra strength against crushing it. Also, what are you talking about a jig and dimples for? Just hammer the pins out of the fsb, put new low profile on and tighten if it has set screws. If not pin it back in with the existing pins. What are you drilling?
I think he is drilling dimples for the set screws. Not necessary in my opinion. Two of my barrels came dimpled so alignment was a snap. But the barrels that were not dimpled..... I lined those up and righted them down using blue loctite.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 01-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #28

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

Quote:

I have never damaged any of my uppers. Then again I don't monkey torque the barrels on either. I think that some to the torque specs are out of control. I also back up the wrench when I torque the barrel nut with a "c"notched 2x4 that holds the rail section of the upper receiver rail to keep it from rocking.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have a clamshell upper receiver jig as well as an aluminum one that holds it by the take down pins. I use them both for different stages of my builds. The trick is once I get the upper all clamped up, I heat all around the barrel nut with one of the blue bottle handheld propane torches. This helps free up what ever kind of loctite the manufacturer used. Works like a charm! The first AR I took apart was my Rock River. I could have sworn they welded that barrel nut on there! After using my head and finally applying heat, it broke free a whole lot easier. Same thing with the flash hider. Heat it up before taking it off.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 01-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #30

Ok. I just went with the black vice clamp for the upper.

spit hell fire