Getting My Numbers Straight - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Getting My Numbers Straight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #51
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2431 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 1232

Panda,

I second what Dillinger, JPYLE and Quentin advised. You can certainly build your own with no worries. There are many many years of experienced folks her to assist with any issues you would have with no problem. Some of which are very skilled and some who actualy make their living in the AR industry. So go for it! We are all here to help!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #52

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Neo, here's a quick list of the type of parts that are needed just to get a firing rifle ... it's a copy&paste of parts that went into my last build before I upgraded a few things. The basic rifle came in at about $900 using high quality parts. Of course there are many other brands out there as you know and the build could come in cheaper or more expensive depending on the parts you choose.

S&W/Daniel Defense build

Lower Receiver:
Smith&Wesson Model M&P-15 Stripped Lower $130
Stag Lower Parts Kit $65
BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit/H-buffer $85
Lower Total $280

Upper Receiver:
Daniel Defense Upper with 5.56mm 16" Midlength 1:7 CHF LW profile barrel $374
Daniel Defense M16 Bolt Carrier Group $124
Daniel Defense Charging Handle $19
Magpul MOE Midlength Handguards $34
Upper Total $551 Upper/Lower Total $831

Sights/Accessories:
Daniel Defense A2/F-marked FSB (included above)
Colt A4 Cut Carry Handle (Anchor Harvey) $40
S&W M&P15 MagPul PMAG 30rd Magazine $10
CQB Solutions 3-Point Tactical Sling $10 (used)

*** be sure to download an AR-15 manual/PDF to learn how to operate the rifle and all safety issues ***

ETA:
You asked about the trigger group, it comes with the $65 Stag LPK above

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The basic rifle came in at about $900 using high quality parts. Of course there are many other brands out there as you know and the build could come in cheaper or more expensive depending on the parts you choose.

S&W/Daniel Defense build

Lower Receiver:
Smith&Wesson Model M&P-15 Stripped Lower $130
BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit/H-buffer $85
From the "budget" you have on this project, (been there too my friend ) the bold items above are a couple that can be reduced a bit w/o sacrificing too much quality.

Buffer Assembly-

Here's your tube:
ARR-319 - UTG PRO Mil-Spec Buffer Tube 6 Position U.S. Manufactured AR15 M16 M4 UTG makes good stuff for the $$$ and those tubes are made here in the US. Can't beat the price, I bought several.

Then look around for a carbine length spring ($3.99) and a buffer. The weight of buffer may need to vary depending on what upper you choose. Here's a basic: Carbine Buffer

For a 14.5 or 16" carbine upper, most folks will tell you to go with at least an "H" buffer. . . that stands for heavy. I go H2 specifically this one: Lower Parts - Spike's ST-T2 Heavy Buffer T2 Buffer [SLA00T2] - $29.95 : Spikes Tactical

Either way you can skate away with a good quality buffer assembly for $30-$40

Lower Receiver-

You can get either of these: Our Catalog

and you will be more than happy. I prefer the Spike's, simply because I really did their products and like the plain lower with the spider roll-mark, however The "Surplus Arms and Ammo" is excellent in quality as well and $20 less. Most of my ARs sit on one of these lowers and ALL of the uppers fit GREAT!

Also look through AIM for a LPK (DON'T GET THE SS SURPLUS ONE!!! BAD HAMMERS!!!) and Spike's has Blemished upper receivers for $60, so you could have a matching set for $140!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #54

Default AR Parts

Quentin: Sir, very good. Now without doing the research that I should have done; I can see.
Thanks; now to review; and do my learning research

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!