Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Getting My Numbers Straight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I appreciate the honesty That's exactly what I needed to know. I have a few questions about the kit that I am a little unsure of.

1. I know it says it is chambered in 5.56, but can anybody confirm it is safe to shoot 5.56 in the Del-Tons?

2. Mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes and stocks. What is the difference?
If the barrel is stamped 5.56 than it is safe to shoot 5.56 or .223. But not the other way around - no 5.56 in a .223 stamped barrel. Mil Spec and Commercial differ in size, when it comes to stocks/buffer tubes make sure they are one or the other.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 04-27-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I appreciate the honesty That's exactly what I needed to know. I have a few questions about the kit that I am a little unsure of.

1. I know it says it is chambered in 5.56, but can anybody confirm it is safe to shoot 5.56 in the Del-Tons?

2. Mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes and stocks. What is the difference?
Chambered for 5.56 means the spec of the round. The Del Ton unit can handle WAY more powerful cartridges than the 5.56mm puts out. You have nothing to worry about there. It also means you can shoot civilian .223, generally a hunting style load, out of the same chamber but with less accuracy.

Commercial buffer tubes have an OD of 1.168" where as the Mil Spec is 1.148" or there a bouts. The commercial tubes have a slightly slanted rear, so you need a commercial stock to go with it.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #23

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I am really glad I can fire 5.56 through it. That was one of the small necessities I had set for the gun. With this package they offer mil-spec and commercial stocks, so do they give you the appropriate buffer tube to match what you order? I am sorry for all the questions, but I am so close to getting my head around all of this!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

They should, the stock has to match the buffer tube diameter, and most all the "aftermarket" kits come with a tube and a stock.

I am sure Del Ton will treat you right. If you can't get the stock on the buffer tube, we will know I was wrong. Again.

JD

Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #25

I think you're right, I don't see why they would send the wrong buffer tube, it would be a waste. Thank you so much for all your help!! Now I just need to find some money and spend it If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask. If not, I'll make a thread for my build progress

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Now I just need to find some money and spend it
Hurry up and spend that shit before Obama finds out about it

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #27

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

I can't say I'm a fan of kit ARs but they do make it easy. The thing is, if you put a month's research into all options available no way would you order the exact parts that are defaulted in a Del-Ton kit. But you do end up with a better AR than the Sportical you were going to get so it's not all bad.

The kit will be good if you're drop dead certain you won't be upgrading the parts you choose today. But most of us do upgrade and over six month or a year can easily double the original budget. At least DTI lets you have lots of options in the kit you choose. But the thing is - the odds are high you'll replace a lot as you learn more and become dissatisfied with the parts you chose today. And that's why taking your time now can save you money yet give you a better rifle. Unfortuately most people don't put enough research in to their build.

If it were me, I'd get the stripped lower, LPK and stock I want then study hard on the upper before spending a dime on it. But if you do go with the kit you'll be fine. Your idea on the Magpul furniture is good and the chrome lined barrel and milspec RE/buttstock. Is it a midlength? And what is the barrel profile?

I'd look hard at midlength and the 1:7 CL barrel. What weight ammo will you be mainly using...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #28

The reason I have a set budget and such on this gun is because once I have that money set aside I will have to start paying off my student loans. I really like the feel, look, and price of what I have chosen. I wouldn't be replacing parts for at least 2+ years because of school. Essentially, this will probably be my last firearm for a few years, and I want one that I can truly enjoy for those years.

I have no idea what barrel profiles are I don't like how long mid-lengths are, I prefer the carbine-length. That's strictly out of cosmetic preference though. I would probably be using between 55 and 62. That much I havn't given much thought. I would rather buy ammo based on the barrel instead of buying a barrel based on the ammo I want to shoot.

I appreciate your concern about making sure I make the right decision before I spend the money. Since I am still acquiring the funds, I will still have plenty of time to consider and reconsider many parts of the project before I ever place an order. My main draw to this upper is that I can afford it. Everywhere I looked I could not find one within my price range (which is pretty low) and keeping the rifle as cheap as possible is a main priority.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #29

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your plans but - Stag Arms

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #30

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Thank you for the links, and video options. I will certainly check them out. I actually found a company that can send me a "kit" of all the things I want except for the stripped lower, and then I can assemble it all myself still. Any ideas on this plan? Heres the website Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" M4 Rifle Kit. I was going to put on the MOE handguards, MOE mil-spec buttstock, MOE grip, and put in the 1:9 chrome lines barrel. Thats basically all I really needed AND it fits within my price range, which is a problem I've been having while looking at alternatives. It comes with LPK, full upper, and the buttstock. All I would have to do is buy the stripped lower, which I have found a few of that I like and can afford.

Any comments on this plan or about the company Del-ton Inc? I've read a lot of good things about them but I'm still a little unsure.
Panda,

I'm working on a Del-Ton right now but I went with the 1/7 barrel (after I bought it, they made available a 1/8, which I would have rather had). The finish looks good on everything and we'll have to wait until it's done and taken to the range for the final test. I'm pleased with the parts and the price. I didn't need to get one of those fancy KronoBigBomb's with all the finagles attached to it for several thousand bucks. I took off the stock handguards and added a quad rail, and picked up a rear fold down sight for it.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.