Getting My Numbers Straight - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Getting My Numbers Straight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

So. . . you've decided to explore the AR-15? Great decision! ! ! The AR-15 platform is just plain F-U-N and as an added bonus it is an extremely versatile, effective, useful tool. Congratulations!

In order to maximize your investment, you will need to learn how to maintain, clean, troubleshoot, repair and (hopefully for you) modify your rifle. If you build your own lower and at least thoroughly understand the upper, you will be able to cover most of the above skills, but just like everything else in life experience counts.

Do yourself a favor and read a couple books from folks that have experience and you will avoid MUCH FRUSTRATION. Do this no matter which direction you choose! (But choose to build )

There are many things to learn about that will save you much time and save your effort for the good stuff!!! With versatility being a major attribute of the AR-15 parts compatibility and effective usage is an aspect you must understand in order to effectively modify your gun and not just have a "clone"of many other rifles, unless that's what you want. You will be able to come up with at least some originality if you have basic knowledge and familiarize yourself with some of the major configurations. Magazines can show you current trends and military guides will show you basic fundamentals and functions from which the trends are derived.

The following two books are incredibly handy for anyone that owns an AR. They are literally worth their weight in GOLD! I still reference them if I get stuck on something or simply want an idea or to verify a technical problem.
Amazon.com: The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide (9781888722109): Walt Kuleck: Books

Amazon.com: Gunsmithing - The AR-15 (9781440208997): Patrick Sweeney: Books

If you build, then you need.
Amazon.com: The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (9781888722123): Walt Kuleck: Books

HAVE FUN!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #12

Liked 490 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 191

I can't believe I've learned this much already in just a few posts! I'm going to build my own I have OFFICIALLY decided I will almost certainly be ordering those books! Now time to get to some technical stuff asked.

I understand how the lower and the internals come together, but I am getting a little lost when it comes to the stock concerning the buffer tube and springs and such. What would I have to purchase besides the part kit and the stock to get them to combine with the lower? Are there any special considerations I need to make?

what special considerations would I need to make when deciding to attach an assembled upper and lower?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #13

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I can't believe I've learned this much already in just a few posts! I'm going to build my own I have OFFICIALLY decided I will almost certainly be ordering those books! Now time to get to some technical stuff asked.

I understand how the lower and the internals come together, but I am getting a little lost when it comes to the stock concerning the buffer tube and springs and such. What would I have to purchase besides the part kit and the stock to get them to combine with the lower? Are there any special considerations I need to make?

what special considerations would I need to make when deciding to attach an assembled upper and lower?
Panda, I bought a DVD from midwayusa.com "AR 15 Assembly/Disassembly" on sale for around $10. The DVD is a detailed step by step how to disassemble each piece or part, and then how to assemble it.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

TSP, all you have to buy in addition to a stripped lower are a LPK and stock kit and once assembled you'll have a complete lower that would function properly once a complete upper was pinned on. BTW, if you're fairly handy with standard tools in the garage you don't need to buy special tools (though some people will say you do). Building up a stripped upper receiver does require tools to do it right, so here you may want to buy a complete factory test fired upper.

In addition to the books, etc. Diggs mentioned take a look at the AR build videos at Brownells, they're very detailed.

Right now you can buy the stripped lower. Then decide what stock kit you want and LPK. Do you want a fixed stock or telescoping? If the latter, do you want a standard M4 slider or custom, like the MOE and many others? Now's the time to start deciding.

Definitely scan through the stickies and older threads here looking for build threads. You'll get a lot of ideas. I'll throw in two links, to my last build and MJKEAT's. We built similar lightweight midlength rifles (and bought uppers from the same vendor) except that mine is more of a basic black widow while his is a deadly beauty. Of course there are many, many other good choices, I'm just illustrating a couple ways to go.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/daniel-defence-39411/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/well-its-time-another-ar-32741/

ETA:
and an update to my build thread... http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/upgrades-my-two-builds-39378/
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 04-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #15

Thank you for the links, and video options. I will certainly check them out. I actually found a company that can send me a "kit" of all the things I want except for the stripped lower, and then I can assemble it all myself still. Any ideas on this plan? Heres the website Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" M4 Rifle Kit. I was going to put on the MOE handguards, MOE mil-spec buttstock, MOE grip, and put in the 1:9 chrome lines barrel. Thats basically all I really needed AND it fits within my price range, which is a problem I've been having while looking at alternatives. It comes with LPK, full upper, and the buttstock. All I would have to do is buy the stripped lower, which I have found a few of that I like and can afford.

Any comments on this plan or about the company Del-ton Inc? I've read a lot of good things about them but I'm still a little unsure.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Any comments on this plan or about the company Del-ton Inc? I've read a lot of good things about them but I'm still a little unsure.
Nothing wrong with Del Ton, especially for your first build. I know there are people on other forums that will tell you it will leave you dead in a ditch if you buy it, but don't listen to them. They're all window licking, straw driving muppets that will parrot what anyone with a SWAT badge tells them.

Several people here have bought and built with Del Ton products and they have proved to be good for the price range.

As for the barrel, you don't need chrome lined unless you are going to shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds and it decreases accuracy. Get a good chrome moly barrel and just remember to clean it after use.

That whole kit can be shipped to your house and then you have to go through an FFL for the purchase of a stripped lower.

The nice thing, once you have the lower "on record" you can make it into anything you want within legal limits.

So if a ban comes along, not likely but you never know, for the most part yours would be grandfathered in and be listed as "pre-ban" so you can rebuild it years from now down or up in a different configuration.

I think you have a great plan thus far....

JD

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #17

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
it will leave you dead in a ditch if you buy it

Just kidding Nothing wrong with the Del Ton kits at all. Once assembled it will go bang and continue to do so with proper care and maintenance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #18

Haha thanks for the support, looks like I got my plan now My main concern with the barrel not being chrome is that I am worried about barrel life, and I have no desire to sit for hours cleaning a barrel. I had a Savage 270 that I spent a week cleaning with Sweets 7.62 and I still never got it all. I will be the first to admit, I am not the best with routine cleaning right after I shoot, but I have no idea what level of fouling to expect after shooting for a day with an AR. Any insight on that would be VERY helpful.

tl;dr - is spending an extra $45 for a chrome lined barrel worth it if I don't want to clean forever after shooting?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Unless you are building a 20" tack driver, given your "habits" go WITH the chrome lining then.... LOL

Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Unless you are building a 20" tack driver, given your "habits" go WITH the chrome lining then.... LOL
I appreciate the honesty That's exactly what I needed to know. I have a few questions about the kit that I am a little unsure of.

1. I know it says it is chambered in 5.56, but can anybody confirm it is safe to shoot 5.56 in the Del-Tons?

2. Mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes and stocks. What is the difference?