Getting a barrel turned down... Is it possible?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Getting a barrel turned down... Is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Getting a barrel turned down... Is it possible?

I have the DPMS bull barrel, and on my recent range day, It was perfect, other then it's way too front heavy, and i was curious if I could get it turned down from it's .936 to the standard .7 something and the muzzle threaded?
If I can how much would it cost?

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

you'd probably be better off buying a new barrel and selling the one you have

Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
I have the DPMS bull barrel, and on my recent range day, It was perfect, other then it's way too front heavy, and i was curious if I could get it turned down from it's .936 to the standard .7 something and the muzzle threaded?
If I can how much would it cost?
You're fighting city hall here pard. You can't expect a bull to be as agile as a rabbit. Milling down a perfectly good barrel is...well

You can send it to a $reputable barrel maker$ and get it fluted to reduce some weight....OR....

My best advice is to just buy a complete upper. That's what I did. If I want long range, I use the bull barrel flatop upper with scope. If I want to play "tactical", I switch to my carbine upper. badda boom badda bing!

Old 05-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a DPMS Panther Bull 20 AR-15 that I too would like to put on a diet. However every time I shoot itty, bitty groups with it I ask myself if I really want to take the chance of having it fluted or turned down to a smaller diameter to reduce weight and ruin the accuracy.

In the end when I want to carry a lightweight AR-15 I'll just force myself to carry my 16" Bushmaster M4 ORC.

Larry

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah... I know the feeling.
But I took off the scope I was using and tossed my cheapo replica AimPoint on her... and that knocked a pound and a half off of her, so clearing the house isn't so bad now lol. But I plan to go with the Mini SASS barrel from DPMS and build my dream gun, the SPR, and then build a second upper and remount my bull barrel

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------