getting an ar built but its down to the barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > getting an ar built but its down to the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default getting an ar built but its down to the barrel

Im getting into competition shooting. Im getting a 5.56 built but the barrel is the only thing im not sure about. Iknow i want a sts ,rome lined barrel and i want it flutted but theres so many to choose from which would be the most accurate and reliable. Heres a pic of a diamond flutted bull barrel but it doesnt have threads and i want threads. If i got a bull barrel threaded would it hurt the quality of it

forumrunner_20120524_041014.jpg

forumrunner_20120524_040912.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Going after one of the pretty barrels may not get you many replies. Chrome lined, more than likely will not be among the more accurate barrels out there.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #3

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

May be you can also look here and find what you want.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/productLine_.cfm?brand=White%20Oak&product_categor y=Barrels

Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Depends on the type of competition.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Depends on the type of competition.
Agreed, accuracy and what you have don't jive. flutes are used for adding surface for cooling. they change the harmonics of a barrel..could be good could be bad...you dont know. chrome lining even after double or triple lapping isnt as good as a cut, non-chrome lining barrel. You don't want this CHF (cold hammer forged) stuff either if accuracy is what you are looking for. I trust guys like Mark Larue and Geoffrey Kolbe on things like this. Both are noted metallurgist, machinist and barrel manufacturers.

Last edited by Fixer; 05-24-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Like JonM said it depends on the competition. If you're going to be slinging it or running and gunning that pig won't work. If you're shooting from a bench, weight is good.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

1) That diamond fluting pattern looks purely cosmetic. Doesn't look like it removes enough material to make much of a weight difference no does it look like it changes the surface area to volume ratio dramatically. I'd pass on that type of fluting for any sort of competition.

2) What specific type of competition are you running? For a long distance type, prone or bench slow fire, a heavy contour with a target crown would probably be your best bet, look for match type chambers. For faster run and gun events with higher rates of fire, a lighten fluted barrel with a compensator would be probably be what you are looking for.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Its gunna be a 3 gun competition. Alright forget flutes. I want the mosf accurate barrel fof the money. Does it help if its stainless steel.

Heres what i have a guy building me
its a cmmg lower with forward assist it has a nickel bored bolt group. Dpms pin kit. Im gunna make sure its a sts or nickel hammer heard that helps. The charging handle is going have an extension. Its gunna have yankee hill rails thats all i know so far

Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
Its gunna be a 3 gun competition. Alright forget flutes. I want the mosf accurate barrel fof the money. Does it help if its stainless steel.

Heres what i have a guy building me
its a cmmg lower with forward assist it has a nickel bored bolt group. Dpms pin kit. Im gunna make sure its a sts or nickel hammer heard that helps. The charging handle is going have an extension. Its gunna have yankee hill rails thats all i know so far
Horrible barrel choice for 3Gun.

I would personally put a halt to this build so you can research it a little more. From what I've read it would be in your best interest to gain a little more knowledge before spending your money. It sounds like your just throwing parts together. Some of which you don't know much about.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #10

Picking it up 2moro will post pics